My Ultimate Gib Key Puller

Started by Startomatic, February 28, 2010, 07:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Startomatic

the cs is running fine except one of the flywheel is not running true with about a 1/16" off set. so to court trouble, i started to remove the gib key and try to shim the flywheel true again. little that i know it turn out far more challenging than i thought. to cut the story short, i built the first two tools that end up destroying the gib key head.

i then come up with this "sleeve jack" that actually make the well stucked key removal seems so easy. i would highly recommend everyone to build one.

pls see my pics at

http://listerenginegallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=3816

WGB

Nice sandals!

Not sure how it grabs the key?
Can you explain?
Thanks

XYZER

I'm bettin he welded it.....that is about all there is left to do.....

Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

Crofter

Looks like it was welded to the broken off key.
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

WGB

I think you guys are right, should of seen that one!

Startomatic

WGB, oh the sandal....

that's my 78 years old dad. he has to check what i am doing every 5 min or so........just to tow me inline.

sorry for the poor description in my state of excitement having pull out the gib key.

yes, there was a open notch machined on the front end of the sleeve and the head less gib key slide in to this open notch to ensure a proper weld.

another good things i discovered is since the sleeve is welded to the gib key on the top side only, a hard blow using the hammer separate the damaged gib key from the jack sleeve making it reusable for the other flywheel key without too much hassle!   

oliver90owner

And on top of the tool you made, the welding heat probably made the job sooo much easier  anyway, by freeing off any rust under the key!

Regards, RAB

rleonard

Here is the puller that I built.

Works very well

Bob

sailawayrb

That's certainly a beauty and an innovative approach.  My only concern would be if you encounter a key that's really frozen onto the flywheel.  Then I think it is preferrable to use a tool that applies a force between the key head and the flywheel (as opposed to only applying a force between key head and crankshaft).  That way if either moves a tiny amount (i.e., key or flywheel), you will have a good outcome.

Crumpite

Thanks for posting that Bob !

Great idea and even better pictures.
A picture sure is worth a thousand words in this case.  :)

Sailawayrb does have a point though.
Still this kind of puller would be easier for me to build.

I might have to make me one of them...
Crumpite

sailawayrb

I think I am going to build one as well.  It should work great for those of us that pull our flywheels frequently when dusting our engines and it won't mar the paint on our flywheels either  ;D

mobile_bob

you guys really need to contact George at utterpower
he has a video illustrating how an indian dude can remove a gib key and have the flywheel on the
floor in under 30 seconds.

and no i will not divulge how it is done, but George on the other hand might tell you!

once you see how it is done, you will wonder why the heck build these sort of pullers.

bob g

sailawayrb

Bob G,

I know how they install keys in India, so I can't imagine that their key removal approach would be an approved maintenance procedure for my shop.  In fact, I would be nervous operating any assembled flywheel engine that came from there and I am sure glad that I did the "kit" build.

Bob B.

mobile_bob

Bob:

i would wholeheartedly agree!

the thing is, although i would not use the indian method exactly, i would use an adaptation of the method
with no problem.

Jens:

yes a torch can be a wonderful tool in the right hands and a horrible instrument of destruction in the wrong ones!

bob g