Easy CS fuel filter mod

Started by playdiesel, August 28, 2020, 12:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

playdiesel

The Lister CS has the most over engineered fuel filter of all time but it uses a rope element that India cannot make right and OEM originals are solid gold. I like the housing but hate the element choices so I retrofit several types of elements in the housing. This one is my favorite one.
parts list is as follows.
1/4 x 6" brass (only!) nipple
3/8x 1/4 machined brass (only!)bushing
1/8" pipe plug.
3167 NAPA filter or equivalent.
Spring, optional
1/8 npt petcock optional.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

playdiesel

assemble the bushing on the nipple. Then saw off all but 4 threads as shown. The reason for a machined bushing is it will have a flat surface for the sealing washer shown. Then drill a few holes so fuel can enter the pipe. Be sure they fall between the end gaskets on the element when the pipe is inserted to the bushing. don't over do the hole size or number of holes so the pipe is compromised. I drill 4 on each side. Be VERY careful about deburring and cleaning the inside of the pipe! all trash left in the goes directly to tbe pump and injector.2
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

playdiesel

assemble the pipe and bushing to the filter head. Then insert it into the base until it hits and measure how much you need to cut off the pipe. Don't cut extra for good measure, just enough that the head sits flush on the base with no gasket. When that is done slide the element on the pipe leaving it 1/2 or so short of hitting the bushing. Then assemble it to the base without bolts, just push it down until it contacts. Then pull it off and look to see how far the element was pushed up the pipe. The bottom. Element gasket must be fully on the pipe as shown. This is why I said don't cut extra off.  Next tap the pipe for 1/8" pipe. be certain you don't mix NPT and BSPT as they are 1 thread per inch apart of being the same amd will leak. Cut the head of the plug flush with the end of the pipe as shown

Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

playdiesel

This is why the bushing must be shortened. To leave room for the banjo bolt. I drill and tap the base for a drain cock bit but is not necessary to do so. Assemble with gasket and to engine and your done.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

Henry W

That's one heavy filter. It looks like it will at least last another 70 years.

mobile_bob

PD:

i commend you on your use of off the shelf parts,
why reinvent the wheel when you can buy one?

good job!

in a time where much of what gets the press and guys building everything from the ground up from a piece of
aircraft aluminum billet (special order of course) and then using a cad program and a 5 axis machine center that took
half a day to set up, to then whittle away about 95% of the billet to make a filter housing, it is refreshing to see folks
using their heads at the hardware store to make something for about a tenth the cost.

oh yes, lest i forget sending it out to the plating shop.

::)

i recall years ago, wanting to get a glow plug for an s-195 (i know, i know, "an" precedes a word starting with a vowel, and "a" one starting with a consonant,  but it just doesn't sound right to use "a s-195)... i digress  :)

the plug that is used to stuff with charcloth as a starting aid is some sort of odd metric standard, that i could not find a glowplug to fit, however i could find a die with the right pitch, so i used it to retread (a bit sloppy by a machinist standard, but effective enough) and recut a more common glowplug.

worked out just fine, given the machinist handbook refers to 60% thread being adequate for most service.

iirc there was someone that had the correct ones made at a cost of something like 75 bucks each, i think mine cost me less than 20 bucks including the die.

always fascinated by the diy'er and how he resolves problems.

good job indeed!

bob g

playdiesel

Bob, you and I are in agreement with the "normal"  in today's build mentality. Guys get so caught up in a small detail such as this fuel filter that the end game is forgotten. Ya it would wow the guys to have a $100,000 CNC and show pics of turning a $50 chunk of aluminum into a fuel filter base but I am into practical solutions, not hype. I won't win any cool invention awards but the shop stays busier than I would like it to be
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate