News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

More shop work

Started by playdiesel, August 23, 2020, 05:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

playdiesel

After a run of various India engines through the shop an R A Lister CS is always a welcome sight. Thus ex SOM unit will be receiving a mechanical check over and a giod cleaning.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

glort

Must be a pretty rare beast to get hold of. Will you be keeping it or onselling it?

Henry W

The casting looks very good. Very nice engine!

playdiesel

Hi Henry, I have never seen a bad casting on a Lister. They were either very good at casting,  or had a high reject rate?  I have another just like it that belongs to me and waiting for me to have time to go through it
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

Henry W

That's the way it should be. Lister did right.

mobile_bob

i suspect the good old english casters, didn't reuse dirty sand to cast with, unlike what is common in india as seen
in the pit casting out in the alley.

having said that, i have seen at least one early 3/1 lister that was full of voids/porosity and filled with whatever filler was at hand and painted over.

which is not to say that is necessary bad?  if a flywheel yes bad, for a common casting that is under low stress maybe not so much an issue.

in this country, the Cincinnati tool makers of the late 19th and through much of the first half of the 20th century had casting voids/inclusion/holes etc.... they filled and painted right over them.

some of the biggest names in machine tools had issues with castings.

then you look at automotive castings, even early ones, and you find some really high quality work, but even they had a few slip through the cracks (no pun intended).

american motors was a case in point, new engines often came out with overbores, under turned cranks etc, because of poor casting processes.