News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

SR2 genset

Started by Derb, August 19, 2015, 03:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derb

Hi Fellas. I finally took the time to learn how to deal with photos/movies in forum sites. Here is my 1st effort. https://youtu.be/5I5RUfIjIc4  .  This is my 1972 Lister SR2 6kw self/start standby genset.  It is ex - NZ railways signals standby and was permanently wired into both national grid and signals single phase supply. As is to be expected upon power failure of grid this unit would disconnect from grid and simultaniously run up to full speed and restore 230v supply to signals. Reverse would happen upon supply being restored along with a time/down. It has automatic decompression/valve unloading both ways. Batteries are 2 x 12v deep-cycle in series for startup and excitation and it has its own self-charger. I fabbed the trolley, high-level fuel tank and the exhaust system for ease of shifting around the garage (excuse the mag-wheels as all I had in stock). As with any Lister, this starts 1st time every time with hand-cranking. Very noisy as typical of air-cooled diesels so am selling/swapping to get a Lister 5/1 or larger for home project generator using a Fisher and Paykel washing-machine motor converted to generator. I hope you enjoy the video. Cheers.
Derb.
Kawerau
Bay of Plenty
New Zealand
Honda EU20i
Anderson 2 HP/Fisher & Paykel PM conversion
Anderson 3.5 HP
Villiers Mk20
Chinese 6500 watt single phase 4 stroke

quinnf

Thanks for the video.  Aren't these great gensets?  I have an ST-2 powering a 7.5 kW generator.  It's electric start, but I have to flip the decompressor levers manually.  It's for standby power at our house on an island in Puget Sound.  Trees/branches have a tendency to fall across power lines during the winter when the soil gets saturated with rainwater, hence the need for reliable backup power.  Yes, the thing is noisy.  It sounds like rush hour at a truck stop, but it is reliable and starts every time.  I'm considering pulling it out of the shed and selling it, and replacing it with one or both of my 6/1s in a proper generator shed.  But for now it sits there, waiting for the next power outage.

Derb

This old girl came with a pepper-pot muffler which looked a bit naff and didn't seem to do much so I fabbed up the new exhaust with a view to quiet it down a bit and the tractor-flap was for a bit of a laugh. Most of the noise is radiated from the engine so the flash exhaust system did B.......er all good. ;D I have no acoustic booth here at home so it does tend to wake up the neighbourhood when I give it a run. Cheers.
Derb.
Kawerau
Bay of Plenty
New Zealand
Honda EU20i
Anderson 2 HP/Fisher & Paykel PM conversion
Anderson 3.5 HP
Villiers Mk20
Chinese 6500 watt single phase 4 stroke