Lister air cooled twin

Started by ToddT, April 03, 2013, 05:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToddT

I have three Changfa clone Chinese water cooled diesel gensets but have always wanted a slow-revving Lister. Found a two cylinder air cooled that came out of the oil field. Runs good.

Is an air-cooled Lister still a good idea for long term running? Any feel for what size generator it would push? I'd like to get something down in the 850 to 1200rpm range. Slow revving, run it forever.

Any feel for what it's worth? The guy said he wanted $875 but that was his starting point.

scrapman

Toddt
Air cooled listers are good but lack of info means we con not answer your questions ,i am in the island of Tasmania Australia your local conditions will set price based on model /serial number/running condition /whether it has been siting in shed ,out in open for 20 years ect ,and people on forum are from all over the world.
Guessing model st lister here are worth 700 - 1200 and up to 3000 with attached generator and all control gear .price depending on condition and we run generators at 1500 rpm 240 volts only @50hz , if belt driven at lower speed i would not go below 1200rpm and hp would be lower and not designed for lower speed, looked after well 10,000 +hours for new engines was common.
Peter

ToddT

Thanks for your reply. I decided to let this one slide. I'm going to wait on a water cooled Lister instead.

Hugh Conway

ToddT:
Don't know where you are or if still interested in an air cooled Lister. In my searching for a genuine 6/1, I came across two complete Lister gen sets.
One is an SR2, the other an HR2. Both free for the taking. The SR2 is now in my shop. the HR2 (I think it is that model from photos) is still available.
Located in coastal B.C. Canada.
Cheers,
Hugh
JKSON 6/1 Utterpower PMG off grid
Lister SR2 with Newage Stamford 9.4Kw gen.....project
Lister 6/1 Start-o-Matic.........project

Derb

I would suspect you would be in trouble running an SR2 loaded at low revs - being air cooled they are designed to run forever at around 1500 and are damn noisy :D
Derb.
Kawerau
Bay of Plenty
New Zealand
Honda EU20i
Anderson 2 HP/Fisher & Paykel PM conversion
Anderson 3.5 HP
Villiers Mk20
Chinese 6500 watt single phase 4 stroke

Derb

On - Topic. I was talking to a guy in the Chatham Islands and he advised me of a lister genset down there with 122,000 hrs on the clock. He has purchased my unit and is looking for more of them. They are prized down there for their reliability.
Derb.
Kawerau
Bay of Plenty
New Zealand
Honda EU20i
Anderson 2 HP/Fisher & Paykel PM conversion
Anderson 3.5 HP
Villiers Mk20
Chinese 6500 watt single phase 4 stroke