News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

VA "One" photo diary

Started by Rom, May 17, 2012, 03:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rom

Hey everyone,

Started a new thread on the Lister Engine forum about a VA that my brother and I are bringing back to life.

Click http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=6366.0 see some photos if you are interested. Image heavy.

Rom
Power Anand 16/2 w/ XZYER's Hollow Dippers, Power Solutions ST-12kw, Simple Centrifuge. Looking for Good 55gal Drums.

Rom

Small update tonight regarding the head

Rom
Power Anand 16/2 w/ XZYER's Hollow Dippers, Power Solutions ST-12kw, Simple Centrifuge. Looking for Good 55gal Drums.

BruceM

Rom, if the AVR's are wired to use the AC output  for excitation instead of the harmonic windings, you will see  better flicker reduction.  The harmonic winding output typically does not have the excess capacity needed during the compression stroke, as the engine and generator head are being braked by the compressed air. By using the AC output as excitation, there is more voltage available, even with the slow down.  For the larger heads, 10KW, I'd want an AVR that was rated/designed to use 240V excitation, to overcome the huge inductance of the field coil (delay in response) during the compression stroke.

I think your supplier will give you the alternate wiring diagram for using the AC output for excitation if you request it.

Love your VA project photos, it's fun to see one of these classic beauties restored.

Best Wishes,
Bruce

Rom

Thanks for the reassurance, I have a friend here I convinced to couple a ST5 to his VA. He is a long time diesel mechanic (76yo and still working in the cramped conditions of boats) and did not like the flicker or the fact that his UPS wouldnt take the power. Loose poles on the rotor didnt help me any either. Well his twin Veebelt pulley from grainger was only 10Lbs aswell. My ST12 and the ST5 came from Power Solutions and are great bits of equipment, and I'm sure we will make it viable enough to get him to run it more often.

With the flicker reduction of the 1 phase 110-220v reg from http://www.centralgagenerator.com/parts/parts.php will help me restore faith in this guy in the system.

Please dont think this engine will come out like new, polished copper and the like. VA One will be a working engine, ingesting my horrible waste oil. And when it burns out its bore, we will send the barrel to the machinist to be sleeved and do it again. I have 15 alloy piston sets downstairs waiting to restore these engines to service, or replace parts on the same. I consider it a labour of love, and the 3 other VAs I have at this time will be put back into operating condition eventually.

Rom

Chris

Rom,

Good to see that you are keeping busy.

Just received what I think is a st 1 or sr 1 lister gen set from Nassau. I pieces but "said" to be working. I will take some photos in the morning and then try and figure out how to post them.
The unit is not mine. My new neighbour found it in Nassau and I will help him get it going.

Rom

Nice Chris,

I have recently found an SR1 on lubbers that one weekend we will go collect and hold until we can restore or find someone who wants to do the same. It's not well at this time, I believe the piston is frozen in the bore.

It's rated at 6hp at 1800. I believe the ST is maybe 4, I get confused with those engines.