Found a 2 cylinder AC Lister diesel

Started by clytle374, February 07, 2012, 08:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clytle374

So I've found 3 different manuals and all show the first 2 digits being the date of manufacture.  I though that was even before the CS engines.  I guess maybe I have no idea of the time line of Listers, and maybe diesels at all  :-\

Next, I was looking at Listers website and noticed that they still list their NA headquarters as being in Olathe, KS.  Being the I grew up there and lived 3-4 miles from the Lister plant, I was pretty sure they closed it in the 90s.   Back when I was young and anything cool ran on high octane fuels ;)

Anyway, I think I start up the 16/1 and listen to it for a while, all this has gotten me in that kinda mood. 

Thanks
Cory

PS: How loud is this TS going to be?

clytle374

Okay so I was informed there is a hidden 50+ on the date code.  So the engine is from 1984 and not 1934, wow, and I was starting to rewrite engine history.

Cory

TimSR2

If there is no compression it is quite possibly a valve  or two stuck open from sitting. Try pulling the rocker covers and observing  the valve actuation.  Put a rag on top of the valves and push down by hand. You should be able to operate them against the spring pressure. This is more likely than a piston ring problem. There's lots of rings on those pistons.

clytle374

I pulled the cover off one cylinder.  The valves move and have close to correct lash when closed.  So if the valve isn't closing, it's real close.

Cory

TimSR2

OK , now check the other one. I'd pour some diesel  (4 oz) down her intake, wait a day, pour a bit more (4 oz)  , wait another day,  and then spin her up with the electric start.  I'll bet the compression comes back.

You don't need new joints (gaskets) to tear down your top end to see what's up. The copper head gaskets will tolerate repeat use if carefully kept clean.  No use spending any money on it until you see how good/bad it is inside. 

If after a couple of days soaking, with valve actuation confirmed, she still doesn't have any  compression, then it's teardown time.  Worst case scenario is someone  some fed her gasoline and blew the pistons?  But even if the pistons are blown, you still got a good deal. 

clytle374

I poured some kerosene in it today and turned it over easy.  It hydro locked so there aren't any holes in the pistons.  I'll let it set for a couple of days and see how it feels.  My gut still says pull the heads and also check out the bores so I have a better idea what the overall condition is.

Cory

TimSR2

Good so far..  The kerosene   ( an excellent solvent)  will soak the rings and free them up and soften the carbon deposits (if any)  So you have piston crowns! That's a good sign. :-) And your valves are actuating, and sealing.

So now you just leave her for  couple days, then spin over by hand to make sure not  hydro locked.   Your kerosene will eventually drain down into the sump, no worries there.  Then hook up the electric starter, and bypass /  energize the murphy switch  with a jumper from 12v ( it probably has an oil pressure activated murphy fuel control solenoid( ?)  

Crack the injector lines  at the injector a half turn.  Hand spin the engine until you hear the injector creaks.  Rock it back and forth by hand , listening for the creaks until you start getting clear fuel  leaking out at the injectors, then retorque the injector lines. .  

Now she should be ready to start.  

dieselgman

A slight clarification Tim... the injector will never 'creak' or open as long as the injector fuel lines are loosened. You spin over the engine long enough for air to exit those loosened lines and only clear fuel is coming out. Then tighten them up and the injectors should begin opening - a hydraulic raltionship with the fuel pumps.

dieselgman
Ford Powerstroke, Caterpillar 3304s, Cummins M11, Too many Listers to count.

clytle374

Quote from: dieselgman on February 18, 2012, 08:23:34 AM
A slight clarification Tim... the injector will never 'creak' or open as long as the injector fuel lines are loosened. You spin over the engine long enough for air to exit those loosened lines and only clear fuel is coming out. Then tighten them up and the injectors should begin opening - a hydraulic raltionship with the fuel pumps.

dieselgman

No worries, I realized that.  Still seems to have quite a bit of compression after 48 hours.  More than a briggs, less than the Listeriod, never felt a good one it's really hard to judge.  I need to come up with a fuel tank for it. 

Cory