Found a 2 cylinder AC Lister diesel

Started by clytle374, February 07, 2012, 08:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clytle374

Ran across this engine today. Sadly the subject line contains almost everything I know about the engine.  It is electric start and ran when it was taken out of service.  Looks very well cared for.    I could not read the numbers cast on the block since I couldn't move the engine and it was setting against a wall, with a few tons of stuff blocking it in.  The rpm tag was left blank, but there is a number stamped on the tag.  It is

3401779TS2A02  (I really hope I got that written down right)

I can get the engine for $200USD, but I have to let him know early in the morning... Or it goes to scrap.

Can anyone help with information about it?  ie hp, rpm, parts available, good or bad deal, is the governor okay for a genset, ect

Thanks a bunch
Cory

dieselgman

The TS2 is a good prime mover for about 7.5kW. They are commonly used for generators and $200 is a steal on that. We pay $250 core charge all day long for these - regardless of location or condition.

Good find!

dieselgman
Ford Powerstroke, Caterpillar 3304s, Cummins M11, Too many Listers to count.

clytle374

Thank you very much.  My gut feeling was to buy it, but $200 is $200 I don't have to waste.

I found a video of a ts2 on youtube and it sounded lower speed to me.  1800rpm?

Now I'm paranoid I'll miss it since I have to cow sit our pregnant, and pet, dairy cow until 2am.  All nighter it is.

Thanks again
Cory

dieselgman

TS2 is well suited to run 7.5kW at 1800rpm but it may also be run from about 1200 to 2500 rpm.

dieselgman

clytle374

Quote from: dieselgman on February 08, 2012, 06:47:17 AM
TS2 is well suited to run 7.5kW at 1800rpm but it may also be run from about 1200 to 2500 rpm.

dieselgman

I own it.  I'll get some pictures tomorrow of it.  It has a some sort of coupler on the shaft.  Looks kinda like half a large lovejoy.

Thanks
Cory

rcavictim

Quote from: clytle374 on February 08, 2012, 09:47:47 AM
Quote from: dieselgman on February 08, 2012, 06:47:17 AM

dieselgman

I own it.  I'll get some pictures tomorrow of it.  It has a some sort of coupler on the shaft.  Looks kinda like half a large lovejoy.

Thanks
Cory

Good for you.  Congrats!   8)
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

clytle374

I thought I posted last night, not sure what went wrong. 

I got it today.  Been wondering about the coupler and if the generator that came with these, are they hard to find and/or expensive.

Now for the bad news, no compression.  I'm hoping for stuck valves or other such simple problems.  I can hear it 'breathe' so the pistons are going up and down. 

Cory

Thob

Near the top of the last picture you posted there are two levers, one on each head.  I believe those are compression release levers, they hold the exhaust valves open.  Try moving them and see if you get compression.  Maybe someone (Gary?) can tell you which way is which.

How is the cow?
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

clytle374

Quote from: Thob on February 10, 2012, 08:03:30 AM
Near the top of the last picture you posted there are two levers, one on each head.  I believe those are compression release levers, they hold the exhaust valves open.  Try moving them and see if you get compression.  Maybe someone (Gary?) can tell you which way is which.

How is the cow?

I think you're right, but I've already fiddled with them a bunch. 

Cow is doing good, so is the little bull calf.  Sucks that he is so friendly, like his momma, but being a bull we are taking the 'avoid physical contact' approach.  His mom is a milking shorthorn/Jersey cross. aka a big teddy bear with horns. We had to pull the calf for 2 of 2 times now, hence the 24 hour babysitting. 

Thanks
Cory

rcavictim

Cory,

Those topside levers are indeed the compression release controls.  Before you get too far into this, have you checked the crankcase lube oil for proper level?  How healthy does the oil look?  When you claim there is no compression is this based on an ability to turn the crank over by hand through the output crankshaft coupling or by 'the perceived sounds' as the electric start spins the beast around?  If only by the e-start action you could perhaps be fooled.

That engine looks like a sweet package and I think you got a good deal there.  I suspect the problem is something simple.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Derb

Hi Cory. A few years back a mate came across a 3 cyl Lister of around 30 HP in a shed but couldn't start due to no compression. I removed the injectors and squirted around 2 tablespoons 20/50 engine oil in each cylinder to take up clearance in rings and valves. After half a dzen damn good high speed cranks then flicking over the decompressor, she burst into life. You wouldn't believe the crap which flew out of the exhaust mate! After a 1/4 hour we shut her down and the compression on hand cranking was awesome. This may help in your case - a good find mate. Cheers, Derb.
Derb.
Kawerau
Bay of Plenty
New Zealand
Honda EU20i
Anderson 2 HP/Fisher & Paykel PM conversion
Anderson 3.5 HP
Villiers Mk20
Chinese 6500 watt single phase 4 stroke

clytle374

I only had a few minutes to mess with it.  I was just turning the coupler over by hand.  It was so weak it almost has to be the valves, or someone stole the rings.

I hate to start it until I see inside the cylinder since it was setting with the exhaust open.  I'd rather spend the time and know for sure it's in or the long haul if need be.

Cory

clytle374

I messed with it a little bit today.  I opened the valve cover and verified the valves go up and down.  Also there is some valve lash when closed. 

Next I squirted several loads of oil through the little plastic cups and plungers in hopes of wetting the rings.  Still no change.

I guess I might have to tear into it sometime soon. Hope for a carboned up valve?

Cory

dieselgman

Has your unit ever been stored outside? It is common enough for moisture to enter manifolds and damage valve seats, or stick rings in place if the valve is open. Also sometimes internal condensation can happen if your weather is just right for it. Other than that, carbon can be removed and your unit restored with a bit of elbow grease. Some people soak them full of diesel or kerosene and allow everything to loosen up that way. We generally just pull them apart and replace everything that is suspect. That can be as easy as a ring set and gasket set if engine not too badly worn.

You can use compressed air to help remove excess carbon if you first remove the manifolds.

dieselgman

clytle374

I don't know if its been stored outside or not.  I know its been inside a non climate controlled building for years and never been messed with.  The guy I got it from is known to be trust worthy and said it ran when he got it. 

I've got a few other things I gotta get done first, but I'll look into getting a gasket set for when I'm ready. 

Thanks
Cory