Weight of Genuine Lister 6/1 Piston and Rod?

Started by quinnf, December 30, 2011, 12:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quinnf

Does anyone have a genuine (preferably old) Lister 6/1 piston and rod that they can accurately weigh?  On the other forum, 38ac weighed the cast-in flywheel weight on a genuine English Lister 6/1 as 33.5 ozs, and I'm interested in determining how Dursley determined the proper amount of weight to add to the flywheel rim.  One way to do that requires knowing the weight of the piston and connecting rod.  I have those weights from Indian components, but not from a real English 6/1.

Does anyone have those figures?

Quinn

XYZER

Peter is our man. He supplied me with the cam bolt position on a Lister to determine the Indian error. oooH pETER!
Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

quinnf

I don't think Peter hangs out here anymore.  He's usually over on the Smokstak forum.  I'll give him a yell there.

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/member.php?u=2508

We'll see if he shows.  If not, someone else might be able to weigh one.

Thanks

Quinn

cujet

You probably will not be able to determine balance with simply a rod and piston weigh. It's much better to do a dynamic balance (engine running) . For example, what balance factor are you going to use? 53% like modern high speed singles? Or simply 50%.

Remember that when doing balance work, weighing the rod/bearing assy end for end is important. As is weighing the piston+rings+pin and clips.

Not to mention, the distance of the flywheel weight matters greatly.

You would be simply guessing, as the crankshaft has mass too. Most 6/1's have no counterweight opposite the con rod journal.

XYZER

Quote from: cujet on February 08, 2012, 12:42:41 PM
You probably will not be able to determine balance with simply a rod and piston weigh. It's much better to do a dynamic balance (engine running) . For example, what balance factor are you going to use? 53% like modern high speed singles? Or simply 50%.

I have found it to be more like 63%. All of my hoppers were in the 50% range. The cast iron piston is the culprit. The heavier the reciprocting mass is the more it needs to be canceled to a point....then you have a slider.... 
Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482