Powerline 16/2 running again

Started by Rom, August 21, 2011, 05:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rom

Edit... Sorry for posting in the RA Lister Section... Changed title to suit.

So after many delays and general slackness on my behalf, and in response to 6.20 a gallon on diesel in my Broadcrown genset, I have finished the twin version of a fabbed SoM frame. I must say I didnt take any photos, but here are a couple of the rig running again. A very temporary rig and not even close to a clean install as the many I have seen done by the fine folk on here.

I have a problem with doing things twice, so thats why until I feel the shed out and decide on how best to run the system, it will just have dangeling wires and such layin about.

Here he is, Mr Lister running, minding his own business. Running somewhere around half load, I managed to install an old KwH meter and forgot an ammeter. I must say they came up with a better way to mount the water pump nowadays. I have seen them mounted on the crankcase door, which would save a load of plumbing for a start. Rocketboy (who's website about his set put me on this lister road) and Cujet use those fancy powered pumps, grunfos, which i will eventually swap the old Indian rig for.
No thermostat so when first started she huffs and puffs smoke. but by the time I throw the house switch and come back to the engine to throw its breaker, its cleared up.

Quick ugly setup of the Centrifuge, I currently mix in 5 gallon batches, so the jerry can it drains into doesnt overflow. Somewhere in the range of 4 1/2 gallons WMO to 1/2 gal of diesel. I havent setup the raw power oil heater yet, so I suppose the oil is not as clean as it could be, but hell, for the price of diesel, and the price of parts that I have directly imported from India, it doesnt really upset me. If I made 2000 hours as our friend spencer did on the same set of gear I would be more than happy.

Very primitive work right now. I pull that alloy tank off its mount, throw a funnel in the top and pour the misc gallon milk jugs of oil that people leave in my driveway in, along with enough diesel to wash the oil out of the funnel. Then lift the tank back to place and open the ball valve to start flow to a running centrifuge.

After that oil is cleaned, I pull the lister tank down from its place and fill it up. It is a plastic clubcar golfcart tank, with a sender that one day I'll modify to have trip the Murphy gauge set that I havent installed yet, and shut the engine down by the system I have not installed yet. ;D ;D ;D

The engine is still not quite right, as it sits, the number 2 cylinder is carrying the engine atm, running about 50* hotter than the main cylinder, and hunts with load changes. I have been experimenting with utterpowers governor mod, and havent got in right yet. I believe the spring is part of the problem, I have a few spares and shall go through them during testing.

Another one of those things, not enough time to sort everything out. But it runs everything I want, and the UPS units take care of the important things.

A little PS. In the centrifuge pic you can see the solar pump for the hot water heater, lil Laing pump that runs directly from a panel. Great pump, been there for nearly 3 years and I havent messed with it. You notice the soldered lines, it does come threaded female aswell, and I order one, but alas it came sweat type. It was in a box labeled threaded so I did not complain to the vendor, nor did I return because of the cost being in the Bahamas.

Rom
Power Anand 16/2 w/ XZYER's Hollow Dippers, Power Solutions ST-12kw, Simple Centrifuge. Looking for Good 55gal Drums.

LowGear

Hi Rom,

I, for one, admire your willingness to go forward with what you've got.  I keep procrastinating because of this really cool or needed part to make the perfect WVO.  Don't get me wrong.  I am grateful to the masters that have helped get near a far far better system than a 10 micron water filter hanging off a 55 gallon drum - but I'm not producing 5 gallons a week yet.

I think your system looks good.  OK, it's not perfect but it is working.  I hope to catch up with you in about two years.  I wonder where you will be then and how long it will take me to catch up to that.

Where do you live that you can disregard the elements of nature? 

I notice that you're posting really big photos directly.  Do you have a three or four step program to do so?

Casey

Rom

Well Mr Casey,

If you speak of my 5 gallon buckets of oil in the rain leakin oil into the ground, I am in the Bahamas, and well our government owned Electrical company does the same, except 10 year old 55 gallon drums of crap old from bunker C burning engines. They rot out and poison the ground. I must say I was brought up in a similar way, because there is no where to send used oil, I think is is almost universal to just find a hole in the ground and pour it in there.

I am at the point of burning 5 gallons a day right now, trying to rid myself of the poorly stored stuff floating around the yard. I am not interested in cleaning up any more spills than I have to, so I have to burn it off, or refine it according to the US EPA. I can afford the burning deal!  :D... I feel I am serving us here burning it at least, either than or poison the ground water. If there was a real worry in the government on the mainland of North America, I'm sure they would have rid the place of new gas cars for a start, and join most of the old country with diesel powered rigs.

I might of missed it in my answer, but what elements am I disregarding?

I just have a photobucket account and use the img link under each photo.

Rom
Power Anand 16/2 w/ XZYER's Hollow Dippers, Power Solutions ST-12kw, Simple Centrifuge. Looking for Good 55gal Drums.

LowGear

Hi Rom,

I live in/on Hawaii.  Not that much different except maybe more elevation opportunities.  We're at 1000 feet.  Our back area has become invaded by WVO totes.  The recommended way of getting rid of it here is mixing with large amounts of saw-dust and to the dump.  It seems wrong but where there have been leaks (the question is NOT "IF" you're going to have a leak but rather "When?", "Where?" and of course "How Much?") I've noticed that there are actually angle worms working the ground where the tote was resting.  Of course on "Environmental Impact Day" at the county dump they won't take WVO.  Any obnoxious mixture of petroleum products you want to describe but not an once of WVO.  It's a screwy world. 

Waiting for moral leadership from an electricity utility might be a long wait.  Of course they're faced with the crowd that knows any change is part of a demonic conspiracy.  Again, it's a screwy world. 

Follow your heart.

I'll go get an account at photobucket this week.

Casey

veggie

Hi Rom,

Very nice setup. Perhaps not where you finally want it to be, but at least you are now ready if the S#*t hits the fan.

As a suggestion....
Divert some of your centrifuge'd oil into a 5 gallon bucket and let it sit for a few days. Then pour it into your fuel tank and check the bottom of the bucket.
My experience with the centrifuge is that it still allows super fine grit to be carried in the oil which will show in the bottom of the temporary bucket..
If this is the case, you can add a 5 micron filter between the centrifuge and the fuel tank, or just check your engine mounted filter on a more regular basis.

keep the pics coming ! (youtube video ?)

cheers,
veggie

Rom

Indeed it does have some fine stuff in the bottom, I usually only process 5 gallons and thats takes about 2 hours how slow I run it. I havent fitted a Racor to the fuel system yet, I am actually running the Indian filter still, I havent tampered with it, cause it hasnt leaked since I got her. Damn thing might not even have a filter in far as I know!

Will get on a new filter rig after this hurricane. Its got The Abacos dead in its track right now. Gonna hit my area on a high tide and 8 foot surge, might have A sunk lister by then. Seems we will be in the lee of the storm winds though, so most likely wont have any build up of water in our 'creek' to flood us out like Jeane did those years ago.

Then lister and ST can handle a flood, my broadcrown, not so much, so I am going to start by jacking the broadcrown up another 2 feet. Lister will be next if I have time, I have many customer projects that have to be safe before I can worry about my stuff again. Only thing that will strain me is safe storage of over 400 gallons of engine oil.

Rom