Methods for purchasing a Listeroid

Started by dieselfox, May 26, 2011, 11:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dieselfox

Been hooked on diesels cars for years.  Now I need a diesel generator to run a pump and charge batteries.  I am a retired engineer and have time to "play".  A Lister or Listeroid looks like the engine for me. 

I have found several ways, by searching the internet, to purchase one: 1. Diesel Electric Services have six 8/1 for sale.  2. Can order a Lovson compressor from India and then convert it.  3. Couple of places on Craig list (if you search all locations) in North East, but they are priced high and never really sure if they legit.  4. Central Main Diesel who does not seem to be really selling them even if they are listed on the net.  5. Kits - reading some of the posts Dieselgman says that most of you like to build them yourselves, and I wouldn't mind do this either, where do you get the parts? 

These are the only ways I have been able to find.   I am totally open to suggestions.  Since you all have these engines, or something similar that makes you the experts.  What would you recommend?  Thanks in advance for suggestions.

I just hope you didn't all get them before our the new laws restricted imports into the U.S.  Yes that is where I am located.

sailawayrb

Welcome Dieselfox!  I am a fellow engineer too (mechanical/electrical working for aerospace co.) although I am still a few years away from retirement.  You will likely be keen to do things right and it sounds like you are not pressed for time to do so.  As such, I would recommend a listeroid kit approach as you can start with new cast iron and not forever wonder about what some moron did previously or how unknown long run hours and associated reduced fatigue life will cause you future problems.  Here's my setup:

http://listerenginegallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=351

I am sure others will have good suggestions for you on how best to acquire the cast iron.  Best wishes and enjoy the journey!  :)

Bob B.

bschwartz

Where ever you find a listeroid, I would suggest an internally balanced engine (8/1 or larger).  If you get a spoked flywheel, externally balanced unit as I did, I think you will have a harder time getting it to run smooth (unless you get lucky and buy one made with good flywheels).

my $.02
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

mbryner

Welcome!   You'll find several different kinds of people here.   There's the original-Lister guys (lucky bunch), changfa/-oid group, listeroid crowd, etc.    I have a Listeroid 6/1 and bought it about 3 years ago when you could still legally buy them from an importer.   Your options are fairly limited at the moment if you're wanting to buy a new listeroid from India.   Look at ebay & craigslist for used ones.   Or drive to Canada...    Get a spare parts kit from Central Maine Diesel.   Whatever you buy, make sure you take it apart and clean it thoroughly.   When you start it for the first time, make sure the governor adjuster is turned way down and have the engine mounted to something solid.

Marcus
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

"The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"

LowGear

Before you buy.  Get a look at George's website and CD at http://www.utterpower.com/

Casey

playdiesel

WARNING! slow speed diesels are very addictive and ou will have a hard time stopping at one!
;D ;D ;D

I am a bit fresh into them myself but I have not had a particularly hard time finding them purchasing three with a fourth on the way as I type. They are not to be found for 2005 prices but neither have I found need to purchased any of the "sucker" engines posted in the NE on Craigs list however there is a "going rate" and I simply paid that.  My advise is to watch Craigs list, Ebay and the classified ads here and The Lister Forum and places like SmokStak and form an opinion of they are selling for and then go for it. They all need to be taken down, cleaned and assembled correctly, again, in my limited opinion. By the way for your information  Diesel Electric or D.E.S. and Dieselman here is one and the same. He has kits in the states and in route to his shop for sale at this very moment, a situation that is likely to change to "nla" quickly so get in touch. Another option if you live close to the northern borders is to go into Canada and take your chances at the border.

Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

JohnF

SO FAR, none of my customers coming up into Canada to get an engine have had any problems at all when re-entering the U.S.  Of course, that could change quite quickly but my impression is that the Customs guys care not a whit about the EPA guys, so they will not be doing anything to help them lock the border down.  Gotta love different branches of government!
John F
www.woodnstuff.ca
Listers, Changfas, Redstones, AG's and anything else diesel I can get my hands on!

Rom

There is another, but a bit more expensive, I can import them here and arrange for a friend to transport to the US. He travels with the season and docks in Miami. Just consider a long wait time.

Wont be viable until the EPA actually stops the Americans from importing the part kits when/if they realize someday. Hopefully never IMHO
Rom
Power Anand 16/2 w/ XZYER's Hollow Dippers, Power Solutions ST-12kw, Simple Centrifuge. Looking for Good 55gal Drums.

getterdone

Quote from: LowGear on May 27, 2011, 01:18:54 AM
Before you buy.  Get a look at George's website and CD at http://www.utterpower.com/

Casey
low gear is right get the cd even if you dont buy it is interesting.
if i were you get a listroid as fast as you can. you will thank us. mine is a 6/1. i've been using it on veggy oil for several years now 2000+ hrs. and still running strong.
used for my well pump and also charging batteries.  i'm off grid.
John southern Mo. good luck!