Oops, that went and did it allright....

Started by AdeV, October 30, 2010, 03:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdeV

They say size doesn't matter, it's what you do with it that counts: But they're lying.

On the other hand, maybe this time I've gone too far....:

At 1510kg all in, this will be the biggest test of my car yet (the trailer's good for nearly 2000kg, so no problem there), plus I have to figure out how to move it around the shed.... I'm thinking, self propelled trolley, possibly based on some kind of car chassis...

The serial number puts her in either 1944 or 1945 (Peter - are the serial numbers on your page the last or first serial no. for a given year?), most likely a war baby, although the war was all but over then.

I plan to sympathetically restore her - so no new paint, except where rust has completely destroyed the original colours, e.g. the radiator cowl. She'll get a firkin great 3-phase genny (when I find one), an air compressor, and regular alternator for starting battery duties. She's got a Ford Transit ring gear attached to the front shaft, you can just see the back of the starter motor to the right of the starting handle. I did turn her over by hand, and by 'eck she's heavy.... Definitely the electric start for me.

She'll need the COV valves refurbishing - a couple are siezed and at least one leaks.

My Grand Master Plan, which is still evolving, is that the Lister CS does most of my CHP work; this big ol' brute will be called into service if I ever need the big horses. The spec is 38bhp @ 1000rpm, that should be plenty for any machinery I plan to run. Whether I plumb in heat recovery to this engine or not, I've yet to decide.

One final treat: Her current owner has a little-seen video up on YouTube:

Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

admin

now that's an engine!

(in my best crok dundee voice)

she is a brute that for sure, and yes it looks like it would take a gorilla to hand crank it to start.

pretty cool indeed

bob g

Ronmar

Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

mike90045

Did you have to sell your soul to get that ?  the video was very cool.

vdubnut62

Oh for the love of Pete, you Brits(?) have all the cool stuff.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

slowspeed

now that is a fine looking engine
Add a 3 phase genny
you will be able to run the lathe and mill at the same time :D
you may need a
FORD CARGO RECOVERY HIAB

Working with Witte 15/1,WVO Lister 12/2 with 25kw Gen head,Gasifier,Sterling Engine,Solar,Hydrogen,300sd Benz on WVO,Dodge Truck on WVO

rcavictim

Sweet!  I'm glad I don't have to feed an engine that big however.  They can go through a lot of fuel oil in a day.  I worry about 2 litres per hour being prohibitively expensive!  :'(
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

DRDEATH

So has the engine landed at its new home???  I could light up my whole block. That might not be a bad idea to keep the crooks out. You lucky Rascall. DD
As long as Breast Cancer Kills, I will support the battle. Please help support your local chapters.

AdeV

Mike,

Not yet..... I've been scratching my head about transport... yes, my car/trailer will do the job, but it's awfully borderline on weight...

...so, I'm in the process of buying a truck with a crane - which, I'm hoping, will have the oomph to lift it. As an added bonus, if I get this truck, I'll be in a position to help out any other Lister buyers with transport. The truck will lift & carry a CS with ease (up to 5 or more at a time, depending on what comes with them)...

RCA - Agreed, fuel costs would be an issue. I don't yet plan to have this beast running full-time, my reckoning is, when I'm living away out in the sticks, off-grid, this will provide 3-phase power "as needed", and will be a backup to the Lister CS which - I expect - will do the donkey work of providing power & hot water.

Jeff/slowspeed - Check your PMs....

vdubnut - Thanks mate  ;D I guess it comes of having such shite weather - everyone ended up indoors all the time, so lots of stuff got invented. Of course, once TV had been invented, it all went to pot... now we all just gaze at the idiot lantern instead of sitting there inventing stuff.

Mike: Luckily, no soul selling required :) I know of a second one as well, now, in better cosmetic condition but apparently a non-runner.... I'm considering it...

Now... because she's a JP engine, and actually pre-dates the CS range in design, I should be able to run her on neat veg oil. That'll go a long way to alleviating the running costs I feel.

Hmm... My "new toy" count is getting a bit high. Lucky I don't have a missus to placate (and I said she was too expensive! Oops!)...

Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5

AdeV

Well.... for various reasons - all my fault - that engine sale fell through & ended up going elsewhere. However, I have - finally - secured myself a JP4  ;D

Yup, I finally have one... 38 horsepower, feel the width...

The engine was originally fitted to a Dutch barge. In this shot, we can see the genuine, original, Dutch diesel catch tank (for the injector overspill)...

The spec plate, showing this to be a 1940 engine.

Interestingly, it's been retrofitted with a 1963 JK flywheel - presumably to add the ring gear & electric starter motor. Originally, it must have been a hand-crank start, quite a task on such a big engine.

The upside-down flywheel serial number reads 213JK4MP13 - it looks like the MP has been added in the wrong place (MP=Marine Propulsion), and should have been after the 13 (which, we assume, means 1963).

That's it on the photos for now; but, with a bit of a jerry-rigged fuel line, a couple of fresh batteries & a battery booster, I got her fired up :) Lots of smoke and noise, and she won't run on all four at low RPM, I suspect the fuel lines still need a little bleeding. Next job is to fit a radiator & associated pipework - and probably a waterpump as I don't have the enormous thermosiphoning radiator that this engine would normally sport - so I can run her for more than a brief period. Oh, and a more powerful governer spring than the lash up I added, which sets the "tickover" at about 100rpm I think...

Still - all in all, I am chuffed. This engine will easily run my entire workshop, and when I move out into the Portuguese sticks, it'll be my only access to 3-phase power.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5

rcavictim

AdeV,

Glad you were able to find another engine.  That is a score!  It will look impressive if you go through a detailed cleaning and painting.  I was surprised to read your prediction for a 100 RPM tickover.  That is a healthy flywheel on this engine so maybe.  I'm sure we'd all love to see a video of that.  Is this a typo?  You are no doubt aware not to operate it below it's minimum speed where a diesel engine starts to shudder and develop self destructive internal loads and overstresses. 

Looks heavy!
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

AdeV

Quote from: rcavictim on May 18, 2015, 01:20:24 PM
AdeV,

Glad you were able to find another engine.  That is a score!  It will look impressive if you go through a detailed cleaning and painting.  I was surprised to read your prediction for a 100 RPM tickover.  That is a healthy flywheel on this engine so maybe.  I'm sure we'd all love to see a video of that.  Is this a typo?  You are no doubt aware not to operate it below it's minimum speed where a diesel engine starts to shudder and develop self destructive internal loads and overstresses.  

Looks heavy!

I'm guessing at the 100rpm tickover, the spring isn't powerful enough to pull the governer back properly, so it's right on the edge of stalling... As I didn't have any water in the jacket, I didn't want to carry on running it - I was just draining the fuel line ('cos it leaks like a sieve at the moment). It doesn't half chew through the good stuff when you open the taps!

Cleaning - for sure. I've got load of brake cleaner (and even more neat Toluene), so I'll be giving it a good spring clean over the coming weeks. Paint, I don't know; I think most of the paint is original (I have suspicions about #4 barrel - that looks like it might be a replacement, as it's a different colour to the rest of the engine), so I may well just clean her up & give her a periodic rub over with some clean oil to protect the metal from rusting. The exhaust I'm thinking I'll sandblast & paint with stove paint.

Yeah, she's heavy alright! Circa 1500kgs (about 3300lbs), excluding the sleepers (railroad ties). I figure an extra 200kgs of creosote-soaked wood, so an all-up weight in the region of 3800lbs. I will build a steel frame, add some axles & wheels, and if I'm clever enough I'll stick a big electric motor & auto transmission on it so it's self propelled... Or maybe with an auto box I could drive direct off the flywheel... a sort of DIY tractor :)

I'll try to get a video at the weekend. I need to rig up some cooling first, and there's going to be a bit of machining to do for the top hose connection.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5

vdubnut62

Doggone it Ade! Once again - you Brits have all the neat stuff!  All I have managed to score in the last 5 years is a broken S-1100. Crap ::)
I grudgingly admit you do get extra points for size. ;D

Nice score!
Ron.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Dualfuel

Ade,
That definitely looks like fun...what a lovely sound too. Give it a long resonant muffler and it will be a joy to listen to, especially if you are out in the quiet, like I am. I enjoy my Onan CCK most of all around here because its turning at 1800rpm...seems the slower they go, the more I enjoy listening.

Also if you install a hydraulic pump, and a motor on a truck chassis, you could have self propel with a much finer control...all the slashers here, have hydraulic motors hooked to truck transmissions, and a cylinder attached to the tie rod, for steering.

Its awesome that your engine will burn vegetable oil! What a savings....