Real listers at auction

Started by flywheel, October 11, 2010, 10:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shipo

Now make sense the quantity....folks  remember they are VERY USED so don't waste your time in to go...I hope that help you Playdiesel....Good luck 
Changfa 195/10kw
Changfa 170R/3Kw
Onan 6.0DJE-3CE
Yanmar TS-105C/Winco 5.3KW

playdiesel

Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

vdubnut62

Dude! That will just add to the allure........you get to rebuild it your way. ::)
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

playdiesel

Report from the auction. The complete singles, 3 to 6 HP went from $650 to $1800. The 10/2 went for $4000. We made the guy pay for the 10/2, what we drove 6 hours to buy but didnt get it. We did get a pretty early 6/1 tha is complete and loose and a totaly cool Bamfords 8 HP single that is mostly all there but apart. Buy of the day IMO was a pair of electric flywheels tha sold for $20 or $30 while we were loading our engines.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

mobile_bob

4grand seems like an obscene price for a 10/2, but then again the guy that bought it likely is not looking for an engine to do work, but
rather a collectible.

sorta like folks that spend a half million dollars for an antique car, he isn't looking for a daily driver but rather some sort of investment or something to fill out a collection.

i suppose it makes sense on some level

just makes it hard for guys to get engine's to do work, when you got to compete with collectors

bob g

LowGear

Sorry mobile_bob, But I'm with Jens.  Fools and their money are soon strangers. (politically corrected version)

Don't get me wrong.  I think this $4000 is far better spent than a big night on cocaine but amateurs with too much money just screw the auction process.  When I was really strung out on auctions I finally stopped going to Saturday and Sunday auctions because of the class of person you had to bid against. ;D  After a couple of mornings walking out to the truck and being totally surprised at what I bought I went cold turkey for almost five years.  ("I'm not the craziest bastard in Seattle" is a dangerous philosophy at a auction.)  Now, if I make five bids in earnest its a big day.  Jumping the bid by two and otherwise chumping neophytes that's another story.  It's the auctions with free drinks and poo-poos you have to be careful at.  Cute costumes on the servers does not make the deal any sweeter the next day.

Casey

LowGear

Hey, I forgot to ask.

Does anyone remember what the two Wittes went for?

Casey

playdiesel

Quote from: LowGear on October 17, 2010, 12:25:11 PM
Hey, I forgot to ask.

Does anyone remember what the two Wittes went for?

Casey

I only saw one sell. It was loose but had been hit or dropped on the valve gear and had some other welds and repairs, as I remember around $700. 
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

flywheel

Quote from: mobile_bob on October 12, 2010, 08:57:56 PM
might as well admit it,,

you're going!

:)

bob g

I did not go - it was indeed very tempting and not very far for me.  I sometimes have the same problem as lowgear at auctions.   

I still have to make the trip over to Indiana to pick up my Witte dieselelectric, its about 230 miles on way.
                                                                                                                                                          flywheel

Never met a diesel engine I didnt like.

rleonard

I dragged home the VA.  It needs TLC but the heart is there to make a nice engine.  After a good looking over I started collecting the parts I need.  Hope to be making smoke and noise soon.

Bob

DRDEATH

It's the auctions with free drinks and poo-poos you have to be careful at.  Cute costumes on the servers does not make the deal any sweeter the next day.

Casey

Casey I can assure you that this was not a problem here. You even had to pay for the water. LOL I don't do many auctions because I could easily spend way more than what I need to. I went just to meet friends. In fact when I called my wife from the hotel room and told her about all of the iron her remark was "You promiced you were not going to buy anyrhing. That is why you took the bike." Playdiesel was sitting right beside when the conservation was going on. Now Scott a friend from Chicago bought a pallett of VA parts which someone should have looked at better. The complete engine was there so for a few hundred bucks more he will have a new 8/1 or if he can find a head a new VA. I already have a buyer in the UK looking for a head and the shipping might be free because the guy from LA that went over last weekend to pick up 3 engines has not been shipped yet. So he may have very easily got the buy of the auction.

As for the prices of the engines that is why I think auctions work the best. They will bring just what someone thinks something is worth. There is no reason the guy who bought the twin will not use it. These engines were made to work. It will just work more years than the clones and with more class. if it is fixed up right there is no reason it wont be around another 50 or 60 years. I wonder how many years a clone would last?? DD

As long as Breast Cancer Kills, I will support the battle. Please help support your local chapters.

playdiesel

Several us diesel addicts were talking before the auction, what will they sell for? the twin? and the singles?  All had opinions,, but nobody could say, "seen one like it sell for X,, Hmmmmm ???

Could ya'll please do us fools a favor?
Next time you see a complete Lister 10-2 at auction in the USA please let us know what it sold for.
Get my drift? ::)
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate