News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Using Reverse Engineering

Started by Lloyd, March 13, 2010, 12:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd

http://news.google.com/patents/about?id=zY6SAAAAEBAJ&dq=Balmar

It is possible to using Reverse Engineering by patent search to aid in your co-gen design, many times the solutions are already there, some off the shelf, some need modification, others need new fabrication...but the teachings are a short cut to our own success.

Taking a look at the above patent teaches a complete co-gen, for elec/heat/cooling.

What I find really helpful is looking at the prior art sections for issued patents, it's a hierarchy of already solved solutions(standing on the shoulder of giants).

This is a great example of prior teachings for controls for everything from speed to out-puthttp://news.google.com/patents?q=U.S.+Pat.+No.+5%2C512%2C813&btnG=Search+Patents

Lloyd

JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

mobile_bob

its hard to imagine how they could get patent protection for the truck apu system, i don't see anything they have there that wasn't already in
the open domain anyway.

none the less, interesting though.

bob g

Fat Charlie

Somewhere in the application, you just stick the words "on the internet."  If you do that, something completely unpatentable magically becomes a new invention with legal protection.  If that fails, claim there's a business method involved and you've got it.
Belleghuan 10/1
Utterpower PMG
Spare time for the install?  Priceless.
Solar air and hot water are next on the list.

BruceM

I know of some electronics patents that are so outrageously prior and public art (electronics) that it is laughable.  The US Patent office seems happy to just take the money and let the courts/lawyers deal with it. 

Lloyd

My point wasn't about the validity of the patent, or the patent process, or even what the patent office might do..

Instead it's about learning from the patent, and all the prior art that they have to list.

Don't focus on the patent just what you can learn.

The thing about patents...everyone can practice the patent for their own use....you just can't sell a product that infringes the patent.

So it's a learning tool, and education at someone else s expense...so use it that way...no discussion on the validity of the patent needed.

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

Westcliffe01

Since the supreme court ruling on "obviousness" in 2003 (I think ?) I can assure you it is MUCH harder to get a patent and the patent examiners now make the most absurd links to combinations of features from totally diverse applications and say that you have not invented anything.   Basically, since 2003 not 1 patent application of many has been awarded at my place of work and the lawyers are now making 10x more money than before.

After the patent is granted, you are still fully responsible to defend your patent in court against any violators, at your own cost.  It is game where those with deep pockets will always win, no matter which side they are on.
Bought 36 acres in Custer County Colorado.  Now to build the retirement home/shop