News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Icy Ball

Started by Tug, February 20, 2010, 11:07:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdubnut62

Or prolonged unconscious drooling.......
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

lowspeedlife

Quote from: mobile_bob on February 27, 2010, 04:36:44 PM
i remember back in grade school, jr and sr high school being called upon lots of times for electrical issues
everything from soldering speaker wires, to my favorite pulling a broken prong from a plug in out of a wall socket.

funny how the kids and teachers would look at me in awe wondering how i could just grab it and pull it out with my bare
fingers and not get shocked.

geesh, it ain't like i was standing in a puddle of water or something!

i guess learning about completing a circuit with a bobbie pin at 2 was a good education, one would think that would have been
enough to make a kid go into a completely different line of interest, like pottery or glee club

:)

bob g

You mean this isn't the Glee forum???, it's no wonder no one ever answers my questions. Sheesh ;D

SR
Old Iron For A New Age

rcavictim

Maybe I missed something growing up but WTF is Glee Club? 

I was in the Audio Visual Club.  Got to get out of boring classes time to time to go run a movie projector and watch a movie in another class.  8)
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

vdubnut62

When you walk 5 miles to school barefoot in the snow...... and it's uphill both ways......heh heh.  We didn't have no stinkin' glee club.
WTF is the audio visual club? ??? We didn't have that either, but we did get our a$$e$ whipped for not getting our homework.
Yep, we are raising a generation of wusses.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

rcavictim

Quote from: vdubnut62 on June 13, 2010, 11:16:44 PM
When you walk 5 miles to school barefoot in the snow...... and it's uphill both ways......heh heh.  We didn't have no stinkin' glee club.
WTF is the audio visual club? ??? We didn't have that either, but we did get our a$$e$ whipped for not getting our homework.
Yep, we are raising a generation of wusses.
Ron

The A/V Club was a group of students who would meet after school and learn/play with the schools audio visual equipment in order to learn how to set up and operate it.  It was the sort of club that would attract tech heads.  Our reward besides the learning experience was to be called out of class during school hours to go run a piece of A/V gear at the request of a teacher for their class.  We got to see more movies this way which helped break up the boredom factor that brighter but unmotivated kids like me often had with school.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

cognos

Hey!

I did that in school, too. I did it for five years. As part of being the head AV nerd, I ended up doing it for all the high schools in the board - there were 5. And - I oversaw the setup of all the bands that played at all the High School dances. Which led to working directly with the bands at their non-high-school gigs for cash. Which led me to joining PACTRA, and becoming a roadie, sound and light man. And I worked with bands like Rush, Fludd, Triumph, Max Webster, Lee Aaron (look her up, she fine!), Lighthouse, The James Gang, Crowbar, Goddo - basically anybody who was an up-and-coming Canadian band in the seventies. Those names might not mean much if you're not a Canuck...
The groupies might not have been able to get too close to the band, but in those days, the sound/light guy sat out at the board in the crowd... good gig for a geek...

Oh, and I got to work on all those "Smile" Labatt Blue Beer commercials as a prop tech.

Oh ya, worked at Stratford as a lighting tech for a summer, too.

For years, when I took holidays from my real job, I'd go on the road with a band for a bit. It was a blast. I did my last gig in 1984, but I still call some of those guys - and girls - friends.

So - the "nerd" thing worked out pretty good for me...

Now - back to your regularly scheduled Icy Ball discussion. ;D

vdubnut62

Thanks RCA!
They didn't call it the AV club when I was running the projector...... it was- "git that redneck dumba-- in here to run that projector before he gits in trouble agin".
No I didn't get to meet any cool people either :'(
OK, sorry for the subject drift!!
Ron

rcavictim

Quote from: cognos on June 15, 2010, 07:35:11 AM
Hey!

I did that in school, too. I did it for five years. As part of being the head AV nerd, I ended up doing it for all the high schools in the board - there were 5. And - I oversaw the setup of all the bands that played at all the High School dances. Which led to working directly with the bands at their non-high-school gigs for cash. Which led me to joining PACTRA, and becoming a roadie, sound and light man. And I worked with bands like Rush, Fludd, Triumph, Max Webster, Lee Aaron (look her up, she fine!), Lighthouse, The James Gang, Crowbar, Goddo - basically anybody who was an up-and-coming Canadian band in the seventies. Those names might not mean much if you're not a Canuck...
The groupies might not have been able to get too close to the band, but in those days, the sound/light guy sat out at the board in the crowd... good gig for a geek...

Oh, and I got to work on all those "Smile" Labatt Blue Beer commercials as a prop tech.

Oh ya, worked at Stratford as a lighting tech for a summer, too.

For years, when I took holidays from my real job, I'd go on the road with a band for a bit. It was a blast. I did my last gig in 1984, but I still call some of those guys - and girls - friends.

So - the "nerd" thing worked out pretty good for me...

Now - back to your regularly scheduled Icy Ball discussion. ;D

Well you obviously took that opportunity wayyyy too far!  ;D  Great story!  So I would be addressing a person who knows what an Altec A-7 VOT speaker is.  Lots of the bar bands used to use 'em for PA.  I absolutely love the sound of those outdoors!  I have four A7's, set atop four 816A bass cabs here in my shop.  8)

cognos

Oh ya. A7's, and the A6 bass bins. Nice stuff. My right ear is burned out from setting those things up in bars... pro stuff had tweeters that looked like truck grills, probably cranked 150 db, so high you couldn't tell it was frying yer brain along with  yer ears...

I made a lot of PA bins for bands. 1" or 3/4' ply, grey mouse fur carpet, steel corners, pointy feet to mass-couple them to the stage. Put Phillips composite drivers in 'em, wound the crossovers myself. Bulletproof. Those were the days, wish I still had some.

Always hated Bose systems. Light, small, and loud, but baaad. You'd set up in an empty bar/hall/etc, then you'd have to reset every time somebody entered the room or moved a chair... ;D Of course, the band would blame the sound man...

I run 2 Klipsch LaScalas and a set of Tangent RS6's in the house. Yamaha A1 Rack-mount amp, T1 Tuner, TC800GL Pro tape deck, and an old Scully 4 track mixer... the sound is frightening to the uninitiated... several turntables... and many albums that I wish I had gotten signed by the people that handed them to me...

Even with bad ears, I win bets with people by telling them which music has been downloaded from the internet, vs. being dumped off a CD... internet music sounds "sharp" to me... never mind my collection recorded from analog albums and digitized...

I must have 1000 albums. Many only ever played once or twice to record them to cassette or digital tape. All from the 70's and 80's.

Kids don't even know what good sound is. Think an Ipod dock sounds good... ;D

Hey, I'm a Luddite.  ;D Hence the attraction to Icy Balls.