News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Icy Ball

Started by Tug, February 20, 2010, 11:07:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcavictim

Tug,

Love your avatar.  Where did you get that picture of me as a child.  Been there....done that!  :o
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Wizard

Waving hand, ditto!

Except was a naked neon lamp without resistor.  BANG.    ;D

Cheers, Wizard

mobile_bob

i did it with a bobbie pin at age 2.5

funny how 50 odd years later i can still see the arc/flash and the color the the receptical cover

:)

bob g

Tug

I am an electrician by trade...so i thought the avatar fitting....
I did this as a young child myself...
Now the Ontario Electrical Safety Authority requires tamper resistant rec. installed in all new home construction...
The new recepticals will stop any child from shoving a paperclip into one side of the outlet...
But if the child is smart and unbends the paperclip it can be inserted both sides at once...
Protects the stupid kids i guess....

http://www.childsafetyoutlet.org/learning/ChildSafetyOutletSlides.pdf

Cheers
Tug

mobile_bob

two early attempts at self electrocution were the one i reported earlier, the
second was really cool

i found an old inner race and tapered roller brgs in a junk pile, tore apart the cage
and had this nice looking roller about the size of my 9 yo thumb, it had that dull inner
layer and the shiney outer layer

i wondered if it could be charged like a battery?

:)

so i unscrewed the bulb from my desk lamp, carefully place my roller in the socket
and plugged in the lamp cord to the wall receptical

:o

hmmmm, that didn't work out very well!

ruined my desklamp too!

no better lessons learned than those from direct observation

bob g

rcavictim

If you believe in "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger", then we as a society are now gravitating towards raising a bunch of overprotected wimps.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Tug

I remember as a kid watching the looney toons beat the crap outta one another...
They dont even have Speedy Gonzales anymore cause it showed mexicans in a bad light....fast and crafty is bad???
Cheers
Tug

vdubnut62

Hey! How did you talk my Mother out of my 6 year old birthday party picture ?
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

rbodell

Quote from: rcavictim on February 20, 2010, 11:29:48 AM
Tug,

Love your avatar.  Where did you get that picture of me as a child.  Been there....done that!  :o

I was about that same age as the kid in the avatar when I used the ends of an electric cord plugged into the receptacle to rub together to make the nice pretty sparks. Looking back, I probably should taken that as a hint to stay away from electricity.
I am looking forward to senility,
you meet so many new friends
every day.

bschwartz

WIZARD !!!!! I did the same naked neon bulb (sans-resistor) trick.  Mine made a pretty white light but only for a second.  There was a slight 'bang' noise and smoke coming from the wire burn marks on my fingers.   :o
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

Ronmar

Used to cook hotdogs between two nails driven thru a board.  Each nail was hooked to a wire of a two prong cord...  Nothing like a dog, with relish, onions and ozone:)

yes, we are raising a generation of over protected wimps...
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

rbodell

Quote from: Ronmar on February 22, 2010, 09:36:54 PM
Used to cook hotdogs between two nails driven thru a board.  Each nail was hooked to a wire of a two prong cord...  Nothing like a dog, with relish, onions and ozone:)

There was actually a version of that on the market. It was something like the george forman grill except for the spikes you put the hot dogs on. It had a switch under the lid that cut off the power when you raised the lid. The switch on mine stuck in the on position. WOW
I am looking forward to senility,
you meet so many new friends
every day.

rcavictim

Quote from: rbodell on February 22, 2010, 11:08:18 PM
Quote from: Ronmar on February 22, 2010, 09:36:54 PM

There was actually a version of that on the market. It was something like the george forman grill except for the spikes you put the hot dogs on. It had a switch under the lid that cut off the power when you raised the lid. The switch on mine stuck in the on position. WOW

I see a bumper sticker.  "I was just knocked silly by my George Forman grille!".  What would it be like if George Foreman offered a "Punch Bowl"?  :o

rl71459

We had a"Hot Dogger" when I was a kid..... It had 2 rows of metal spikes that you pushed the ends of the hot dogs on... when you closed the lid it electrocuted them!

Rob