News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

New refrigeration advance

Started by Jens, June 21, 2010, 12:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jens

Have a look-see at this system. It seems to show a lot of promise for air conditioning in general but provides an almost perfect solution for those that live in warmer regions.

http://www.nrel.gov/features/20100611_ac.html

Exhaust heat could be used to regenerate the water absorbing material !

billswan

Gee and to think I was about to buy a new air conditioner for my house. These aren't available yet but in the near future, so now do I buy a cheap energy hog air conditioner that will be obsoleted when these come on the market or opt for the high efficiency high seer high cost premium unit? That will also be obsoleted if the new units in the story come to be?

Billswan
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

Crumpite

Very interesting article, they seem to be working in the right direction.

I'm not about to start holding my breath waiting for one however.

I have a little experience with liquid desiccant air dryers used in water plants.
They were/are maintenance nightmares - the desiccant is terribly corrosive so the materials of construction tend to be expensive.
Also membranes are a lot more difficult to use than you would guess.
Pinholes are a constant problem and sealing them at the ends is another.

The double stage evaporation system they mention on another page is still another bugaboo, I worked on them too.
I'm sure it can all be done, but it's going to take a *lot* of money, time and engineering to get the bugs out.

Based on my experience, only about one out of twenty good ideas makes it out of the development process to market.

I sure wish they could get it going though, it would be a real boon to energy efficiency !
Crumpite