News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Ontario man turns a bulldozer into a wind turbine

Started by rcavictim, September 26, 2009, 12:27:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crofter

An awesome tribute to what determination can accomplish. It takes a lot of "stick to it" to last through all those separate challenges. Even a short single handed creation can teach a man a lot about the meaning of Love/hate relationships, but this is something else!

Nice looking welding: nice use of the old hay bailer flywheel and gear box!
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

rcavictim

Thank you all for your accolades.  I do hope that someone who sees what I have accomplished might be inspired to tackle that big project that they might not otherwise attempt and complete it.

Here is a picture taken looking straight down inboard from the end of the 4th storey height service platform.  One thing visible is how I was able to create a very circular landing pattern for the outboard stabilizers making a generously sized footprint compared to the area otherwise taken merely by the crawler tracks.  The system is quite stable setting merely on the tracks and was actually without stabilizers until just prior to the installation of the rotating topgear two years ago.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

rcavictim

Lately I've been busy reinforcing the outrigger arm system at the base where the jacks mount.  This work involves tying the jack end mounting plates all togther with concrete filled steel pipe and reinforcing the I-beam outrigger arms themselves with rebar steel used as triangulation to simulate a box beam.  The picture shows a work in progress.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

vdubnut62

And just how many pounds of welding rods and gallons of paint have you expended to date?? :o
You remind me of the tale of the Bumble Bee, it is impossible for him to fly, but nobody told him, so he goes ahead and flys anyway.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

rcavictim

Quote from: vdubnut62 on July 31, 2010, 12:08:47 PM
And just how many pounds of welding rods and gallons of paint have you expended to date?? :o
You remind me of the tale of the Bumble Bee, it is impossible for him to fly, but nobody told him, so he goes ahead and flys anyway.
Ron

I've easily gone through 100 pounds, likely more, of welding rod.  Probably 7-8 gallons of paint so far.  What is frustrating, due to the huge scope of this project for one man is that it ain't even finished yet but the paint put on two years ago has faded and most of the project needs to be painted again.  That's not fair I tell ya'!  >:(

vdubnut62

Paint is only for corrosion protection anyway ::).

Just keep flying brother!
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

rcavictim

Bump.  Lots more steel around the base added, plus the perimeter pipes are filled with concrete for additional ballast.

rcavictim

Last fall I got the rotating carousel sanded, properly primered and repainted with top notch coatings, and then installed the 1/4" aircraft cables needed to stabilize the structure once the airfoils are attached.  I cannot tension all these lines until the blades are hung.  The original coat of white was put on in November at freezing temperatures two years ago and had begun to fail.  Trying to do too much sometimes.

rcavictim

This thing makes me feel like I am building a tall ship out of steel.  Here is a shot of the rigging without the 'sails'.

mobile_bob

RCA

you are an animal!

and my hero!

:)

following your progress on that machine leaves me with a clear understanding of just how easy the egyptians had building
those puny little pyramids! 

i am thinking 10 guys like you could build a pyramid to match the great one at giza in a weekend!

bob g

rcavictim

Quote from: mobile_bob on March 01, 2011, 04:14:36 PM
RCA

you are an animal!

and my hero!

following your progress on that machine leaves me with a clear understanding of just how easy the egyptians had building
those puny little pyramids! 
i am thinking 10 guys like you could build a pyramid to match the great one at giza in a weekend!

bob g

Thanx for the kind support Bob!  I sure would like to get this thing finished this year.  It is really starting to get tedious.  Spring is coming soon I hope, then I can get back to making the airfoils.  In the meantime I'm busy as possible doing a major conduit and wiring install in the house basement with inverter and battery bank so I'll be able to use the power generated by the wind as soon as it is making power.  I will have full monitoring and control of the turbine from the power room in the house. Good project to do in the winter as this work is all indoors.

AdeV

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Just, like, WOW.

I think I may have used the word "awesome" as well - which, from a Brit, is highly unusual. We're not easily awestruck, but this project does it. BTW, over here, you'd need planning permission for that thing. I wasn't even allowed to keep a bus outside my house, with the planning people getting all uppity, they'd probably suffer a mass coronary if I showed up with a bulldozer windfarm!

Have you got a name for the beast yet?
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

mobile_bob

my vote is to name it

Godzilla

its big, it green,,, and its big!