News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Changfa 175 CHP Unit

Started by veggie, January 04, 2021, 01:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veggie

Here's the first test of the new Changfa R175 CHP unit.

Some features/changes to the original engine.
- Larger and better quality air filter
- Machined an adapter to divert oil from the internal screen to an external filter.
 (This increases the oil capacity by almost 1 litre)
- Removed the hopper cooling system and replaced it with a pump driven closed circuit
 loop which passes through a flat plate heat exchanger allowing heat to be removed to a useful application.
- Installed a lighter throttle lever spring which seems to allow the governor to be more sensitive at the lower rpm.

The unit is currently designed to run continuous at 1100 rpm. In this test it is loaded to 900 watts with an electric heater.
At 1500 watts the engine bogs down so I suspect the 900 watt load is approximately 85% of full load.
https://youtu.be/8yGpl7Dmvas

Henry W

Very nice, Does the filter cartridge have an internal bypass? And what is the oil pressure running at?
Did you see how it runs on a 1000 watt load?

Henry

veggie

Henry,

Oil pressure is 70 psi.
The load in the video is 900 watts. 1000 watts makes no change to the engine note.
The engine starts to bog down at 1500 watts

Henry W

It sounds like it's will handle a 10 amp load intermittent no problem. Very useful generator to have.
Do you have any fuel consumption numbers yet?

Is this going to be a keeper? I learned not to sell everything that I made. Materials and especially engines are getting very scarce.

Pretty compact unit and, it looks like it's very easy to service.

Henry

veggie

Henry,

Yes there is an internal bypass valve in the filter head.
This one is a keeper.
As you said, things have changed and the cost of engines and materials has gone up.
Components are harder to find and tend to take longer to arrive.
No fuel consumption numbers yet.
The plan for this unit is to provide CHP to the greenhouse which will be heated late into the winter and started again earlier in spring. extending the growing season.
At that point it will be doing long duration runs and fuel consumption should be easy to monitor.