s1100an changfa, chp, variable speed/output build thread

Started by focodiesel, January 04, 2014, 05:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasonw

Quote from: focodiesel on January 04, 2014, 05:01:37 PM

<SNIP>

The Initial Plan:

Scrap the ST Gen in favor of a pair of 110-555jho's or whatever mobile bobs latest 48v concoction requires. and drive with a serpentine belt. (although if you think I should go st with split armature to make 48v than convince me, but I don't know if that would be viable with variable and lower rpms). Use an arduino microcontroller to control engine throttle/speed and excitation for the alts, and anything else that is currently being done by others with balmar controllers. Possibly do a lead/lag setup to have only one alt running for lower loads and bring the second on when necessary.

<SNIP>

Thanks everyone,
-Focodiesel

Focodiesel,

Hello.  Just not came across your thread.  Not sure where you are with your project, but if you do go down the DC generator path I have already built an Arduino based engine controller and integrated alternator regulator.  Handles all the engine management, and more important is tightly integrated with the alternator regulator - end results is multi-speed generator based on power demands.

You can read more about it here:  http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=2941.0

and here:   http://smartdcgenerator.blogspot.com/

Its all public domain, we have been using it for two years and it works very very well.  And just FYI, reason I came here was some has contacted me and is looking to do the same - wants a 48v DC generator.  I pointed him to Microcogen.info for some ideas on how to handle the alternator.  With another person we are looking to see about having a a few board sets assembled in China (MUCH better then hand soldering one self), perhaps will know more in a few weeks.   Contact me if you are interested.

-al-

focodiesel

thomasonw,
Thank you for the links, actually I was aware of your work and had bookmarked them already for a good starting point. As far as controller boards, at the low volume of generator setups I will be creating (one at a time). Soldering boards together is not too terrible, also I already have a handful of arduino uno's laying around. Please post up any info on your progress reguarding these controller boards though as it does interest me and others here.
Thanks,
-Focodiesel
(2) cummins 6bt 12valves
cummins 4bt
(4) Farymann 43f
(2) perkins 103.15
Isuzu c240
Jianghuai S1100AN
Danyang r170f
Yanclone 186fe
Yanclone 170fe

thomasonw

Quote from: focodiesel on April 27, 2014, 12:48:09 PM
thomasonw,
Thank you for the links, actually I was aware of your work and had bookmarked them already for a good starting point. As far as controller boards, at the low volume of generator setups I will be creating (one at a time). Soldering boards together is not too terrible, also I already have a handful of arduino uno's laying around. Please post up any info on your progress regarding these controller boards though as it does interest me and others here.
Thanks,
-Focodiesel

Hi,  I am for the most part finished with the DC controller design.  Have used it for about a year and a half, not too much work has gone into it other then using it  :) 

There are a couple of people interested in building a set, and I am just now having 15x of the Arduino Alternator regulators built up (both PCB fab + soldering all those small parts!) done over in China.  If they turn out well and folks like them then we might see about doing a like small-run of DC generator controller boards in the same way.

-al-

focodiesel

Well, been working a bit on the start of the build. The plan is to mount the genset on a leftover harbor freight trailer that I have. I will enclose and insulate this trailer.  I'm in the process of welding all of the joints solid because with just the bolts it's as flexible as a gymnast. I also pulled off the radiator and fuel tank. Any good ideas on how to build the coolant plate? Hot on one side with a 210* thermostat, cold on the other?

(2) cummins 6bt 12valves
cummins 4bt
(4) Farymann 43f
(2) perkins 103.15
Isuzu c240
Jianghuai S1100AN
Danyang r170f
Yanclone 186fe
Yanclone 170fe