News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

10 kw genset almost done

Started by Jfamily, December 15, 2012, 07:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jfamily

Not too fancy but it is working fine. This is a 10kw mecc alte belt driven to a D722 kubota engine. With exception of the subframe everything is aluminum. The tanks is 7 gallon. The controller is a dynagen tough series which made the wiring ezzay pezzay. The objective was light and lighter. I hope the pics work but it is currently 290-295lbs in the pics. I am planning on putting it in an enclosure. I am planning on using a PVC enclosure again to make it light. The black base fits over the aluminum skids and is part the deck box I am planning to use as an enclosure http://www.buylifetime.com/products/blt/pid-60059.aspx
The rad will be on the outside but everything else inside. I am hoping it will be reasonably quiet as well. I have filled the dual wall PVC with PU foam and coated the inside with a rubber coating to help absorb the sound. The battery is too small. It starts when warm only. I have another braille battery coming that has more than enough cranking power but will add another 7lbs. The enclosure will add another 40lbs but I am pretty confident it will be sub 340lbs complete.

Going the other direction with the next project. A hefty 195 changfa clone is the anchor...stay tuned.

Cheers

Thob

Very nice - I have a couple of concerns:

Watch the temperature in the box, you'll have a lot of heat from the engine, exhaust manifold, muffler, generator head, etc.  You'll need some vents and fans to keep it cool.  Also, does the engine take in outside air?  You don't want it's intake inside the box.  (Cool air is denser).

How fast is that idler pulley turning?  Just judging from the size of the pulleys, it looks like it could be turning upward of 10,000 RPM!  Maybe the camera angle makes it look small or something.
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

veggie

Nice build !

I think you may be right THOB,
The alternator needs a lot of cooling or the insulation could break down on the windings.
Perhaps a vent on the enclosure with ducting straight into the fan intake on the generator head.
....And a hot air exhaust of equal capacity would be required too.

veggie

Jfamily

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I am planning to have a perforated metal flap on a piano hinge at the battery location so I can access battery to change/boost without removing the enclosure. The battery is below the header. I am planning to do the same thing on the opposite side of the engine to access the receptacles on the back side of the generator head which just below the intake.

Road racing motor cycles back in the day I am cognizant of the effects of the hot intake air when in the in slip stream of another rider which is the trade off for better performance with cool air. I always got it wrong!!

Thob good catch on the idler. I did not give it a thought other than making sure it was fan belt specific 2 bearing idler. I will monitor it and when it goes change it out for something with a 4" + OD.

Veggie do you happen to have a 195 manual? You know if you had put that lister clone up for sale two months ago I wouldn't need the 195 manual.  :'(

Cheers

veggie

JFamily,

Yes, I have a manual for you. PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

cheers,
veggie

Jordan

May I ask where you got your pulleys and belts?  TIA