News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Yanmar 2TNV70 CHP Project

Started by SPSInc, November 19, 2012, 10:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vayidaho

I considered that, but all the motor rewind shops in my hometown cannot work outside the box. If is not shown in their rewind manual, it cannot be rewound.  Gone are the days of spirited initiative. 

The few guys who "thought" they might be convinced to "try" to rewind it by following the old pattern, would not guarantee their work. I might rewind it myself if I find the time. I did it for a Harley-Davidson 125CC generator once before when I was 16 years old, and it worked. But that was almost 60 years ago....

dcamac1

vayidaho....George just happens to have a PMG for sale, along with a Lister engine. Check on his site.
dc

vayidaho

It is NOT a 3KW Utterpower MISSION CRITICAL PMG, it is a toy. Thanks for trying, however...

stirich

Quote from: SPSInc on November 19, 2012, 10:07:34 AM
Hello All -

A colleague of mine and I have been working on a Combined Heat and Power unit. As a disclaimer this is a project we are attempting to develop and market. We have some of the major components put together and have run some test data. We have decided to post some information to this forum to see if we can get some feedback on the concept and its performance.

We used a Yanmar 2TNV70 diesel engine and attached a 24 pole PMG generator. An electronic governor was installed on the engine so it can be controlled for variable speed to regulator the output of the PMG. We are able to get 8KW of electrical power out of the system @ 3600 RPM. We configured the unit for 48Vdc but could be configured for 24Vdc as well. During testing the output of the generator was roughly 54Vdc and 150Amps. We installed heat exchangers on the exhaust and engine cooling water.

Without getting too winded in the details here is what we were able to extract in heat and electrical energy running at full electrical output. The below data is based on a 160deg F input water temperature from the water storage tank.

Fuel Input: 0.7 gal/hr (2.7L/hr) = 93,000 BTU/hr
Electrical Output: 7.9KW = 27,000 BTU/hr
Exhaust Heat Captured = 12,000 BTU/hr
Engine Heat Captured = 30,000 BTU/hr
Sum of Electrical Energy and Heat Captured = 69,000 BTU/hr
System Efficiency = 74%

Our next step in the process is to package the systems in an enclosure and work on the automation. Thank you in advance for any feedback. I will post more as we move along and if any questions arise.

Regards, Eric

just checking in to see if this project has moved forward? looking to get a system ready for next years heating, power is would be a bonus!
Rich

SPSInc

Progress has been made but it has been slower going than anticipated. Had other projects that have side tracked me. A new skid base has been designed. It came out quite nice. I will try to get some pictures up soon.

Next step - the electronic controls.

SPSInc

I wanted to put a closing to this project. I never was able to make the time to finish up the electronic controls for the CHP portion of the project however it has been put to use assisting solar panels at an off grid residence in the northwest. The output of the unit is for a 48V battery system. It can produce a maximum output of 150 Amps of charge at 55.8V (8.4kW) at 3600 RPM. It runs at a variable speed based upon load from 2200 - 3600 RPM. The automatic controller will start based upon battery voltage or the generator output from the inverter. When started by the inverter or for a low battery voltage the generator runs until the charging current falls below an adjustable amperage level. The starting voltage, charging voltage, max charging amps and shutdown charging amps are all adjustable. It will also compensate the charging voltage based upon the battery temperature.

I'm disappointed I wasn't able accomplish the starting goal of a CHP unit but I thought this unit turned out nice and will provide many years of service assisting a solar array.

rl71459