News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

6 HP Launtop diesel powered genset finished

Started by rcavictim, July 11, 2012, 08:13:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcavictim

A few years ago I was fortunate to acquire a Launtop 6 HP air cooled diesel brand new from Princess Auto for a super deal.  This was equipped with electric start but is missing the hand pull start assembly.  It has been a back burner project for the past three years.  A year ago I acquired a 6 kW gasoline driven generator for the frame and flat fuel tank to incorporate into this project.  The frame received extensive modification and a 12 inch stretch to what you see here.  The four pneumatic tires (Princess Auto), will allow this unit to be moved around the yard wherever I might need a 120 VAC outlet down the road where a cable won't reach.  I have modified a 3000 watt, 3600 RPM gen head also acquired from Princess using the portion of the engine crankcase and crankshaft necessary to furnish the second bearing so as to make it a belt driven head.  The single "B" belt pulleys are sized so that the engine runs at a more lesurely 2700 RPM, right on the peak of the torque band and where fuel economy is best. The engine runs smoother at this reduced speed and will live longer. This de-rates the available  power to about 4 HP, so that the finished genset makes only 2 kW continuously.

The engine and alternator head are mounted on a steel platform that is sprung on eight small car valve springs to reduce vibration transferred to the main frame and starting battery.

I was able to incorporate two fuel tanks and a changeover valve.  As chance would have it the flat tank I acquired had a hole through it which I have positioned so I can access the fuel filler cap on the Launtop original small fuel tank.  Worked out perfectly!

I intend to fabricate a new control panel which will incorporate a frequency meter and hour meter as well as more output receptacle options such as two higher quality duplex receptacles and a twist lock.

This genset was built with intended use as a backup battery charger for the 48 volt battery bank when wind is not blowing in mind.  My prime plant for this purpose will be my R175A Jiang Dong.

Now I can get back to building my two wind turbines.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

rl71459

Tom Reed

Yes very nice job and a creative way to make a 2 bearing gen head out of a single bearing head. How are the main bearings in the former engine being oiled?
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

squarebob

Ain't it great when a project comes together!! Nice Job.

Bob
GM90 6/1, 7.5 ST head, 150 Amp 24V Leece Neville, Delco 10si
Petter AA1 3.5 HP, 75 Amp 24V Leece Neville
2012 VW Sportwagen TDI, Average 39.1 MPG

rcavictim

Quote from: Tom on July 11, 2012, 11:55:25 AM
Yes very nice job and a creative way to make a 2 bearing gen head out of a single bearing head. How are the main bearings in the former engine being oiled?

Thanx guys!  The gen head side of the crankshaft already had a ball bearing which got splash oil from inside the crankcase.  I just put lubriplate white grease on it.  When it fails I'll replace it with a standard sealed ball bearing the same size.  There was no provision to hold the shaft from being pulled out of the gen head once the engine was removed.  This created the need for some ingenuity on the outboard end of the belt pulley.  The right part of that steel  strap and large ring washer comes off to replace the belt while the left part of the strap and pusher bolt stays in place to keep the shaft from escaping. If the shaft is allowed to come outwards even 1/4" it breaks the slip ring carbon brushes off inside.  I learned this the hard way and had to fabricate a set of custom brushes from spare parts for an angle grinder.

This gen head has a built in AVR and bridge rectifier under the end cover.  The AVR eagerly gets the output up to 125 VAC way before 3600 RPM shaft speed is reached.  There is absolutely no voltage flicker visible on lamps.  I got the gen head, never spun, for $50 brand new so I cannot complain about the extra work and special frame bracket I had to fab for it to make it useable.

A crude fuel consumption test indicates 1 Hr run at 1800 watts = 1 liter diesel used.  There is absolutely no visible smoke at 1800 watts.  That is less efficient than my other larger plants but still beats the pants off a small gasoline engine.  This alternator is probably less efficient than larger 1800 RPM ST heads we are used to using.  That component is easy to replace if something better comes along, or if I decide I need to change this to a specialized 48 VDC only battery charging plant.

Yes, it is a nice feeling when a project finally gets finished and out of the way on the shop floor.  8)
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

SteveU.

Great pictures and design details RCA.
Lot of folks would have given their right . . . little finger, to have had this for food freezer salvation in the latest Atlantic States Grid Off event.
Now my latest was finally hooking up with the regional wholesale supplier of the non-ethanol gasoline for all of my small yard and forest engines. And they have off road non-taxed AG diesel too. 20-30% less for "you pump and carry" than standard pump prices for higher BTU fuels without degrading oxegents in them for a longer storage life.
Time's 'a wasting guys and gals. Some Event is always just around the bend ready to shear you of sheeple ways.
Regards
Steve Unruh
"Use it up. Wear it out. Make do. Or do without."
"Trees are the Answer" to habitat, water, climate moderation, food, shelter, power, heat and light. Plant, grow, and harvest more trees. Then repeat. Trees the ultimate "no till crop". Trees THE BEST solar batteries. Now that is True sustainability.

veggie

Nice job RCA.
By slowing the engine to 2800, the lifespan should increase considerably.
You probably noticed the noise levels dropped a lot too.
That 1kw - 2kw output might be just what you need to drive a battery charger for that big battery bank of yours.

veggie

Henry W

That is a very nice setup RCA,

The B pulley setup looks sized very well and will be more than enough. Those pulleys are not to large so high belt speed will not be a problem. The belt life should be very good.

The 6 Hp Launtop engines are very good quality air cooled diesels. Running it at 2700 will increase engine life.

One liter of fuel is better than a gas engine for sure. I feel you will see the efficency go up some once it breaks in.  Changing to a BX belt should give a little extra effecency.

Henry

BioHazard

Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

Lloyd

I like the angle grinder convention going on over in the corner of this pic

as well as the build, now it's time to charge some bats.

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

rcavictim

Lloyd,

I gave up long ago trying to get by with just one angle grinder.  Way too much time wasted changing between a cup brush to a grinding wheel, to a cutoff disc to ...
There are about four more grinders that didn't show up for that meeting. ;)

Princess had a super price on Hitachi 4-1/2" grinders a couple of years ago and I bought three.  One is still NIB as a backup spare.  They just came on sale again and the sale price is twice what I paid.  Everything is starting to go up in price thanx to Helicopter Ben printing paper money.  If you need something buy it NOW.  Hyper inflation is just at our doorstep folks!