News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Cadillac Outdoor Wood Burner

Started by cadillac, January 15, 2012, 04:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unimog_jason

I've priced out an outdoor Econoburn 200000 BTU gasifier unit and they are just under $10000 on the east coast of Canada and that includes the heat exchanger and a fan.  From what I can understand the indoor unit costs the same but it doesn't include the exchanger or fan.

From what I've read on various websites these units burn clean, use less wood then the non gasifier boilers and the manufacturer has been building commercial boilers for a lot of years.

My biggest concern is that you still have a water jacket that isn't likely to get above boiling so that might impact your burn, but at least the upper firebox is refractory so that should help with the smoke.

A cousin of mine bought a Greenwood Furnace a couple years ago, it's basically one huge refractory and uses boiler tubes instead of a jacket.  In my mind this makes a lot more sense, this will allow you to keep your firebox walls very hot allowing for a hotter fire and a cleaner burn.  Unfortunately Greenwood was bought by another company and they discontinued this model.  They now offer a gasifier as well but I haven't looked into it yet.

Jason

mbryner

For those prices, you could almost build a really nice thermal mass masonry stove in the house.  Just sayin'.   Of course you couldn't heat multiple buildings that way...
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

"The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"

unimog_jason

For me it all about multiple buildings.  Right now I only have the house to heat, but I plan on building a small workshop for my wife, a bigger shop for myself and maybe a greenhouse further down the road.  I know these boilers need constant attention but I sooner have to service one stove rather then four.

Jason

vdubnut62

Go Jason!  I just hope you are young, strong, have plenty of time and have a good place to cut firewood! Do you have any idea of the amount of wood all those buildings will consume? ::)
Ron.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

unimog_jason

Don't worry Ron, I'm still fairly young and I have 3 kids who will be old enough in a couple years to start helping out, plus I have a horrible addiction to tractors and Unimogs so I have MORE then enough machinery to help out with the work.

The house is in New Brunswick and if there is one thing that grows well in New Brunswick it's trees.  At $80 per cord for 8' logs I can do a lot of heating for a reasonable amount of money.

Jason

vdubnut62

Jason I share your addiction to machinery I'm afraid. Now if I only had a firewood processor.......hmm
Ron.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

unimog_jason

A processor is most certainly on my list.  Hopefully they will start popping up in the used market a little more in a few years, doesn't seem to be a lot right now and most of them are far away.