News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

1HP motor on a 120 volt 15 amp outlet ?

Started by veggie, March 28, 2023, 07:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veggie

Anyone running a 1HP motor on a standard 15 amp wall outlet?

In my case its a basic 120 volt, 1800 rpm cap start motor.
I have not bought it yet, and I'm wondering if my wall outlet can start it.
Running amps is fine ( 9.7A) but I'm not sure if the capacitor start will suffice to get it going.

Whats the most HP you have started (under no load) with a wall outlet.?

Henry W

Ran Rockwell Delta horizontal/vertical belt sanders with 1 hp capacitor start motors. And Delta contractor's table saws with 1 hp capacitor start electric motors on 15 amp wall outlets. Shortest wire length and 12 gauge wire helps.

I have run 1 hp capacitor start motors on wall outlets with 14 gauge wire with no problems.

veggie

Tom Reed

Got a 1 hp motor on the drill press. When belted for top speed it has some trouble starting, other than that no issues. It's running of an Outback inverter since we're off-grid.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

mobile_bob

it also depends on what the motor is connected to.

a 1hp motor connected to a compressor that is asked to start at perhaps 120psi and cut out at 150psi may have a difficult time starting up, that is if it doesn't have some sort of unloader system.

blower motors also have a harder time starting,

high efficiency motors also have higher starting amps requirements.

what do you have in mind for the load for this new motor?

bg

veggie

Hi Bob,

It would be driving a rotary gear pump for oil transfer. only 10 psi.
The actual demand is about .6HP, but I was concerned that a 1HP on a 15 amp breaker might trip even when unloaded due to inrush current demand. Full load amps (FLA) is 9.7
Some say in rush current is up to 300% of FLA. Others say size the breaker for FLA +25% which in this case would be 12.1 amps.

Henry W

I would think you would be able the use a 3/4 hp motor.