News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

changing the forum ideas?

Started by mobile_bob, August 29, 2016, 11:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westcliffe01

With the green energy and electrification push, I think grid problems like have been plaguing South Africa for 15 years are going to be appearing across states in the US.  Im moving to an off grid property myself so wont have the comfort of utility power but that utility power is going to be less reliable and faulting out more frequently as time goes on because no-one seems to be adding to base load power generation.   

When the big snow storm or ice storm, or wind storm comes through its going to take the renewables offline for the utilities (self preservation mode and for photovoltaic buried by snow or ice). I had power taken out 3x this past year by a single tree that dropped various parts of its structure onto power lines in stages.  Its pretty much done now but plenty more that could do the same waiting in the wings.

The EPA has killed the old slow speed diesels and driven up the price of modern diesels to crazy levels.  Today one is looking at $7k+ for a small diesel generator, open frame.  Add fuel tank and enclosure and the price goes up.   I have scoured craigslist and marketplace listings for diesel engines for years and was able to score a 6kW Deutz 3 cylinder generator from a lighting plant (needs a different governor) and a 2 cylinder Kubota Mini engine (used) so I have something to work with. 

I will definitely be doing heat recovery from the Deutz system and the shop I will start building next year in Colorado will have a radiant heat system in the shop floor.  So I have a large area that will need heating and Im sure I will be running the generator often enough to keep the batteries happy.  Speaking of which, I am going to need a 48V battery pack.  I am thinking about buying Tesla battery moodules, the ones I saw were 48V.   Does anyone have feedback ?   I dont think I am going to bother with lead acid at this point.
Bought 36 acres in Custer County Colorado.  Now to build the retirement home/shop