News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

anybody running a pm head?

Started by mobile_bob, September 23, 2009, 12:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcavictim

Quote from: rbodell on February 12, 2010, 09:09:30 PM

All that the thin outer surface area of the splines is needed to do is maintain centering of the outer added bushing.  Your welding it to the splined shaft is what will carry the power torque.  The only reason I would hesitate weding onto the splined shaft is if it creates difficulty replacing the bearing on that end of the generator.  If that is not a problem then weld away.  It isn't like you plan to use that stupid spline system.  If you could use it, you'd be doing so now.  If you weld, use 308 or 309 stainless rod.
Thanks for that. maybe that is what I should do.
You're welcome.
I was just thinking, what if I fill the splines with JB Weld. Do you think that would give enough friction to use a browning bushing?

No.
I am not against splines per se.  They are likely the best shaft coupling possible, but I refer to them as stupid when nowhere in industrial supplier inventories on the planet are mates available to fit them.  They are certainly not DIY friendly.
[/quote]
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

rcavictim

Quote from: mike90045 on February 13, 2010, 11:36:58 AM
Quote from: bschwartz on November 04, 2009, 07:48:27 PM
First numbers are in

frequency  leg 1 load   leg 1 voltage   leg 2 load   leg 2 voltage  total load
    61           0 W            121.2 V           0 W         121.3 V           0 W
    60.3       890 W          118.1 V           0 W         120.2 V         890 W
    59.9      1525 W          116.3 V           0 W         118.9 V       1525 W
    58.8      1415 W          113.7 V        1650 W       114.9 V       3065 W
    58.6      1765 W          116.8 V        1610 W       113.3 V       3375 W

Metro 6/1 on WVO (soybean)  4200 ft elevation, Georgia Generator 6.5k PMG
all readings from two kill-a-watts  (the last readings had the Kill a watt on leg 1 flashing)

I don't think the engine will do much more without heavy smoking, but not bad for free fuel.

Amazing.  I don't understand what keeps the regulation so good with variable loading, is it just overkill in the windings, or is there an AVR somewhere ?

Combo of two things I think.  One is probably good oversize wire in the machine to help limit droop.  Second is the fact that he was only loading the head up to approximately half power.  That is a good way to go IMO if you can afford to.  Looks like a clear winner at 3.5 kW to me!  Should be trouble free for a long time and also probably makes really clean AC too.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

vdubnut62

Try the Mozilla Firefox browser! I've been using it since Win 98, then Win XP, then on my Vista machine, and now on my Win7 laptop.
It's rock solid, and 'way more secure than Internet Explorer of any version. It's what I'm playin' with now.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

rbodell

Quote from: vdubnut62 on February 13, 2010, 08:41:48 PM
Try the Mozilla Firefox browser! I've been using it since Win 98, then Win XP, then on my Vista machine, and now on my Win7 laptop.
It's rock solid, and 'way more secure than Internet Explorer of any version. It's what I'm playin' with now.
Ron
I use Firefox and Safari. Until XP came along, I was even considering another operating system. Never did Use Outlook Express. Too much trouble setting it up and it downloads stuff you don't want in your computer before you even know what it is. I finally settled on Gmail for email because of it's spam filter. I don't even notice the adds the way it is set up.
I am looking forward to senility,
you meet so many new friends
every day.