News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Delco type PMA alternator up to 80 ams max possible ?

Started by keith71, September 29, 2023, 12:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keith71

Have seen these delco type pma alternators for a while on ebay. Looks like it might be based on a 12si style alternator.. The company has been around for a while..

They are claiming up to 75-80 amps output at 48 volts. I think it may do 80 amps max for a short amount of time, but 50 amps continuous might be more realistic?

There is a video at the bottom of the add that was made by a customer of their's.
It shows a 24 volt alternator at 2340 watts at 27.9 volts. So about 83 amps. That alternator is rated 2800 watts max. But the guy did not max it out for the video. He was using a small 6.5 hp gas engine and the engine seemed to pull it pretty easily at probably 3000 rpm.

They are a little ricey, but I think price can be negotiated..  What do you guy's think of these.. Got to be better than a china special that claims 6000 watts in a smaller footprint..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334581598178?hash=item4de69e07e2:g:Xi0AAOSwAL9UjOdz

If you watch the video skip ahead 8-10 minutes if you want. He talks alot in the beggining..
Kubota D722
10HP Diesel Air cooled 186fa yanmar clone                                                         
12/2   Field Marshall CS Lister clone
 R170 Jiangdong  (needs some work)

Tom Reed

IIRC open frame PMG's tend to attract iron particles and do ugly things. That might be a good question for vendor.

What's the attraction of the PMG vs. a standard alternator?
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

keith71

What's the attraction of the PMG vs. a standard alternator?
[/quote]

Good question.. I do not have all the answers is why I am here :) .  Back when george b and a few others were selling the pma's to use with the Lister clones they were all the rage.. This is not my main reason.. There seems to be a bunch of pros and not many cons..
Also The only 12 volt alternator I have seen run and make proper voltage to charge a 48 volt bank is the one David Poz did on you tube.. A 48 volt 100 amp alternator brand new is about $1000.
Had to remove the rectifier and regulator figure out a way to get voltage to the field (not hard".. It just looked like alot of mickey mousing assembly. It worked ok  I guess..

Have to resort to external 3 phase to single phase bridge rectifiers.. PMA makes power much lower rpm.. Theres more but I am in a rush to write this reply..

What is the advantage of an alternator over pma? I think a pma is probably more efficient.  Thanks for the reply.
Kubota D722

keith71

Also my onan/kubota powered 7500 watt quiet gen set was a pma setup with built in inverter to get AC current out. It ran from 1200 to 3000 rpm depending on load.. After 15 years and less than 2000 hours one of the magnets came off wrecking the stator.  It was not heavily used thru the years because it was on a summer only weekend fishing boat..  I think age and environment did it in and not whether it was a pma or not..  I also do not see any commercial small scale DC generators using automobile alternators. They are all pma.
Kubota D722

keith71

Most of the arguement of pma versus alternator is mostly a moot point nowadays anyway.. eg4 has there new chargeverter now..

It takes any ac from any generator converts it to perfect DC for a 48 volt inverter.And puts out 100 amps. Just plug it in. Probably the easiest way to charge a large bank if you need generator support for only $399.00
Kubota D722

Henry W

Years ago, I remember a post about those. Bob G and some others talked them. For what I can remember. They are not cracked up to what the manufacturer claims.

Henry W

I think there was a discussion of a Military alternator is used on HUMVEE's. It's huge, heavy and I believe it's dual voltage. My understanding is they might be more efficient than most alternators. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of them.

keith71

hi henry the humvee alternators are leece neville dual voltage. 12 and 28
Kubota D722

keith71

Quote from: Henry W on September 29, 2023, 05:16:43 PMYears ago, I remember a post about those. Bob G and some others talked them. For what I can remember. They are not cracked up to what the manufacturer claims.
Most of that was just talk.. Based on no testing.. I read it.. Not arguing which is better..  If anyone gets a chance , look at the independent video of the 24 volt version pma. No smoke and mirrors that i can see. This isnt a gm alternator with magnets glued on a factory rotor.. We are a long way from 2010..  Thanks
Kubota D722

keith71

Iam half way done paying for a new victron multiplus 2. 5000 watt 48v. Have 4 12 volt lifepo4 batteries in a 48 volt setup. Only have a small array of solar panels.. So I am going to use a engine driven something to charge the bank most of the time for awhile.. Easiest thing to do is take my 2500 watt belt driven ac head and rectify it to 100-150 volts dc to run into the charge controllerr . And let that control everything.
I didnt like the way david poz built his 48 volt charger. And a good 48 volt alternator is $800-1000.
Kubota D722

Henry W

Quote from: keith71 on September 29, 2023, 05:51:06 PMhi henry the humvee alternators are leece neville dual voltage. 12 and 28

It's something else.
I have to go back in my notes.

Henry W

The manufacturer is Niehoff.
Now I have to find which model.

keith71

Yes c.e. niehoff.. Yes i read about the specs on those they are pretty neat..up to 400 amps on some models. But I need 48 volts
Kubota D722

keith71

Also this is probably not the same company they were talking about back in 2010.. That was missourri wind and solar and they had a bad reputation and were kinda liars.. This company is wind turbine generator. They make pma for engines hydro and wind. They have been around since the late 90's I believe. The rotors are all machined from new not GM rotors.. The stators are almost 3 times wider than what is in like a leece 110-555.. They are not GM stators.. 1000's sold since 2002 100% positive feedback.  I dont think a car or truck factory alternator is gonna be able to make 60 amps at 58-60 volts reliably for a long time without some major rework..

And these ma's make their power under 2500 rpm

Kubota D722

keith71

I probably should have stated at the beginning that this was for a solar setup with a charge controller.. So it is really not like a regular dc battery charger like a marine setu would have a need for.  Dont need a voltage regulator or engine speed controller when I am going to use a solar charge controller to do all that stuff.. Maybe down the road I can get a nice aio inverter charger. Those will start and stop the generator when the battery voltage gets to low..
Kubota D722