News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

another source of heat

Started by mobile_bob, January 18, 2010, 07:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile_bob

agribed = garden plot or green house plant bed

the particulate filter follows modern practice of a timed burnout based on restriction

the cat converter is optional at this time, mainly because of relative high cost
the idea was to improve the quality of heat more than trying to improve air quality

most of which i would find beneficial would take place with the particulate filter anyway.

bob g

mobile_bob

the self cleaning exhaust exchanger continues to work as designed, there are other issues that i am considering
one of which is a provisional patent, and that is another story for another day.

the reason i am most interested in a particulate filter is not so much to clean anything but to recoup the lost btu's available in
the unburnt hydrocarbons that would otherwise pass on through  the system. particulate matter being mostly carbon it would seem
prudent to regenerate and have at capturing those btu's as well.

going back to the heat exchanger

it is said everyone has one good idea in their life, and i am not saying this heat exchanger is mine, and i am not saying its not.
what i am saying is i don't know, and until i do know i will not be releasing any details as to its construction or theory of operation.

i figure my odds are only slightly better than those needed to win the lottery that this unit is something that is not only patentable
but of value to someone in industry. i know if i were to be in the diesel engine driven cogeneration manufacturing business i would
certainly be interested in an exchanger that did not require frequent cleaning, and i would be very interested in any auxilliary system
that improved upon the core unit.

maybe a pipe dream? who knows? i don't!

all i can say is in the last year of searching for a similar exchanger that operates on a similar theory of operation i haven't seen one yet.

bob g

billswan

Quote from: mobile_bob on January 28, 2010, 09:45:29 PM
agribed = garden plot or green house plant bed

the particulate filter follows modern practice of a timed burnout based on restriction

the cat converter is optional at this time, mainly because of relative high cost
the idea was to improve the quality of heat more than trying to improve air quality

most of which i would find beneficial would take place with the particulate filter anyway.

bob g

Ok bob I understand, I was also thinking kind of like you, but time time where to find the time to do the work :( :( :(

Billswan
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

Lloyd

Hi Bob,

I like the way you think, I am a pretty much off the shelf kinda guy, unless there is nothing on the shelf. The process of creating new from scratch is a long road, and efficiency demands the shortest rout to success.

Speaking of off the shelf: How To Order an Exhaust Scrubber; Removed at the request of the moderator

By the way Bob, my little perky/cat\volvo was going to get the leese triple nickel, but I'm now working with Niehoff on their 330, and a multistep reg, it's rated at 250 amp hot, with an efficiency factor well north of of the triple nickel.

For all you perky/cat owners..I added volvo to the name, because they marinize the same little shibrua, badged as the d-13 sail-drive, so that means that an off the shelf bolt on gear driven raw water pump, water cooled exhaust mani cooler, header tank, with tube bundle, and water injection exhaust elbo, are just down the street at your marine volvo dealer. I paid just south of $800. for all the above mentioned parts.

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

Lloyd

Bob,

I said before I like the way you think.

My project

http://imageevent.com/studio413/intheyard09;jsessionid=wtp3uvez92.panda_s More project photos here.

Started when we acquired  a 1937 52 foot Grandy/Monk, that hadn't been under her own power in 20 years, she was completely gutted and stripped. The prior owner had decided to do a ground up restoration...he removed all the various bits and put them in dry storage on land...and didn't loose anything. So we started with the proverbial box job.

We did a major to both her 1962 vintage 6-354 perkins, borg warner gears, and walter v-drives. Every electrical, mechanical, and plumbing sys were replaced new.

I had to remairinize both perkins, I had SenDure build my tube bundles to spec, she is plumbed as I outlined above. I have a tank that has water coils for each engine, plus the future perky\cat/volvo, a 12 volt immersion coil(for dump loads), and  a 120 volt immersion coil for dock side.

This is all plumbed through a radiant heating sys for the boat, that takes heat from my dickenson diesel fired galley stove as well. The system heats the domestic hot water(a separate tank), the boat, and will even pre-heat the perkins in cold weather. When dock side I can use the 120v coil to maintain low heat in the boat. We have also allowed to add a future diesel fired boiler...I'm not sure we will need it yet.

She cruises at 10-11 knots, and burns right at 3 gal per hour, My diesel stove burns more fuel that the engines do.

We been under way now since 2003, all elc/mec/plu sys are done, we are just finishing all her furniture and and interior rebuild..should be done for our annual trip north in August(750 mile round trip). We won the the best engine room award in 2004 at the Victoria Wooden Boat Festival, Bill Gardner(Gardener Diesel Engines) was chief judge, visiting from England...he said my marinization was better than the original perkns design.

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

rl71459

mobile_bob

Lloyd:

hats off to you buddy, that is a gorgeous boat!

bob g

Lloyd

Hey Bob,

Thanks,

That boat is our battery charger. Also our battery dis-charger, we started with what I call our 3-30 plan. 3 years restoration and 30 years annual maintenance. It's now something like 7-25, it's taken longer to restore but hopefully the quality of life will increase our longevity...not a science you know.

Lloyd

Westcliffe01

Mobile Bob

As someone who has spent years designing emissions systems, I would recommend that you switch the position of catalyst and DPF.  The reason is that the catalyst will combust SOF (tar like hydrocarbons that otherwise plug up a DPF) as well as oxidize NO to NO2.  The NO2 will in turn passively regenerate (burn off) the soot in the DPF without requiring active measures.   In 2005 we put a SiC DPF on a cummins engined Dodge Ram and did more than 25k miles without the DPF needing to have any active regeneration.  Just be sure that the catalyst you use is not one that is originally designed for a gasoline engine.  The cells are often too small and can plug rapidly with diesel exhaust.  Worst case scenario, you can buy an aftermarket catalyst in Europe since they have many popular small engine diesels.

The reason that this process couldn't be used in 2007 or later was the simultaneous requirement for reduced NOx.  If the engine is made to produce less NOx (primarily by increased EGR in 2007) there is simply not enough left to have a meaningful effect on passively regenerating soot in the DPF.  Since 2010, NOx can be reduced very efficiently by using Selective Catalytic Reduction, so most manufacturers (except International) have scaled back on EGR for better engine life and reduced maintenance.  SCR systems have their own problems, but at least it is not the engine and the SCR catalyst has no platinum in it so nobody is going to cut it off in the parking lot in the middle of the night...
Bought 36 acres in Custer County Colorado.  Now to build the retirement home/shop

billswan

Welcome aboard Westcliffe01

Gad to see a diesel engine emissions designer on board, I am sure there will be lots of questions for you!

Sure hope you stop back often!

Good luck when you move to the Rockies!

Billswan
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

mobile_bob

Westcliffe, welcome to our forum

its really cool getting someone with your background to come around and be part of our group.

the cat con i am going to use is supposed to be made for diesel engines, i was concerned with clogging it
with PM so that is why i had considered using a PM filter of sorts to capture and burn off the carbon before
admission to the cat/con.

my thinking is that my application where the engine is running at a specific rpm, specific load and temperatures
are very stable the issues of emissions should be easier to deal with than an application where the operation is
very dynamic, such as variable speed and load of a vehicle application or even the fixed speed but variable load
of a typical generator application.

when i get a bit further with my testing, i still have to completely dismantle the unit so that i can go back and complete
all welding, modes to the lubrication system of the engine, improvements to the ST head and a few other things.
then i will do the final assembly and start working on the control systems, and the emission control systems.

i am also very anxious to do some work with dual fuel mode, i am now quite interested in the use of gasoline in a pilot
injected dual fuel engine that is otherwise originally made to run diesel exclusively.

thanks for you input

bob g

Westcliffe01

Up to 30% of particulate is burnt in the oxidation catalyst before it ever gets to the DPF. 

For stationary applications, the best thing that can be done to improve the performance of the emissions system is to heavily insulate it externally.  Commercially made emissions components are regarded as "commodity" product, so there will be never ending negotiations between customer/supplier to get the last cent of cost out.  Since the precious metal is under control of the OE customer and typically is by far the largest contributer to cost, everything else is wanted for free....   So the second most expensive item (the support mat that retains and insulated the catalyst) is made as thin as it can possibly be.

Adding a 1/2" of silica type insulation over the outside of the catalyst and exhaust and then wrapping it with soft annealed stainless foil from Mc Master Carr will reduce heat loss and help the catalyst work as effectively as it possibly can.   In the case of a DPF this is even more important, since one wants the temperature of the filter as uniform as it can be.

Besides anything else, adding insulation reduces needless heat loss, which will make heat recovery systems more effective too.   Heat exchangers, hoses, all need to be effectively insulated, particularly if the engine is in a cold environment.
Bought 36 acres in Custer County Colorado.  Now to build the retirement home/shop

WStayton

mobile_bob:

If you go to: http://www.ejbowman.co.uk/products/EngineOilCoolers.htm

and download their webpage they have a yellow blurb in the middle of the page to download their .pdf file on exhaust gas heat exchangers.  In there, somewhere, is a chart that shows what they expect that you could recover in heat from various function of a generic engine-generator (presumed, by me, to be diesel).

They think that you can recover 2 kW from the oil in a generator that is producing 16 kW, YMMV since their numbers are for a generic engine-generator,  and I think that the 16 kW is a bit (??) bigger than yours and of who knows how much different in oil-path, block-cooling-of-lube-oil, etc., etc.  But, the important part is, they think you can get 2 kW BACK, not what is introduced, but rather what you can recover.  That's 12%, which ain't chicken feed since its almost for free!

Take a look when you get a chance!
Mercedes OM616 Four Cylinder Driving ST-24

mobile_bob

i would have to go back and do some digging, most of my notes and all my books are now 1850 miles from me
so i likely won't know for a while, but from memory i think i figured on being able to get about 1kwatt heat recovered
from the oil system which would be about what is expected seeing how my unit is about half that alluded to in the article.

my cooling system radiator has the built in auto trans cooler that i will obviously not be using for that purpose, however
i figure to use it for recovery of waste heat from the lube oil system.

two things would be accomplished,

1. the lube oil heat would be lowered and recovered, and

2. the lube oil temp would be kept at about 180 degree's F at a minimum, due to the cold oil being heated by the radiator return
water heat which in my system is controlled to about 190 degree's F

yes a kwatt of heat harvested from the lube oil equates to about 3415 btu's, which is nice to add to the heat recovery of the system.
which in turn increases the overall system efficiency.

lastly i am seriously considering shielding the engine case with isulated panels, so that the radiant heat is contained and the cooling system
has a bit more to harvest from.  the primary concern is noise abatement which is always important to chinese horizontal diesel owners, but
in the process more heat is recoverable, it too will only add to the overall efficiency of the system.

bob g

WStayton

mobile_bob:

I  am a fan of having a big tank of hot water available so that warm-up is a non-issue.  When I was working at Ford, they tried to do a study to figure out when engine-surface (think: cylinder wall) and bearing-wear occurred.  They found that the problem was so interconnected that it was almost imossible to address on a parametric level but they did conclude that 80% of the bearing wear in a spark-ignition engine occurs in the first 10 seconds after start.  That sort of shocked me, until I looked at some numbers that they had for a couple of taxi fleets, where the engines practically never got shut off, and, lo and behold, the bearings in engines torn down after 150,000 miles looked and measured as nearly new.  Cylinder walls, on the other hand, didn't seem to track - they looked as bad as ones from aunt tilly that spent their lives commuting 10 minutes back and forth to the store. 

They later tried to do a dynomometer study, to try to weed out some of the extraneous variables, but they were just getting started when sales took a once in a decade dive and everything not directly connected to producing cars was cancelled!

I have thought that, based on that study, it would probably be a good idea to get a little gear type electric pump and pressurizize the oil gallery before start up, especially when you are talking about only doing it once a week, and there is lots of time for the oil to drain away.

About temp containment:

Every engine is, of course, different in its thermal characteristics, but for the Mercedes OM616 engine, in a vehicle they use a pretty small, mickey-mouse'ish air to oil cooler that doesn't look like a lot of capacity to me - maybe just basically something to protect, for a minute or two, when selecting maximum effort.  The same engine, in a marine configuration, has a tube and shell heat exchanger that is about 3" diameter and 18" long, exchanging oil heat to cooling water, before the cooling water goes anywhere else, so it MUST be capable of extracting a substantial amount of heat from the oil.  I'm sure part of that is the duty cycle, in that a marine engine usually operates at a higher BMEP than a road engine, but some of has to also be that the oil pan in an automobile with 50 MPH forced convection is shedding lots of oil carried heat and in the marine engine, sitting in the bilge, the heat rejection through convection has got to be an order of magnitude less than for a road engine.  The Mercedes does have some sort of GEE-WHIZ gadget that samples the temperature of the cooled oil before it puts it back in the base and regulates it so they don't freeze anything.

About noise containment:

I just sort of figured that if you have a diesel (except maybe a lister/oid) running you better be wearing hearing protection, otherwise, in a little while there isn't going to be any hearing to protect!

Not sure, yet, how objectionable the noise from mine is going to be, in that it will be contained in an attached sort-of garage.  I may be enquireing, later, for your design for noise containment! <grin>  I would guess that it is a sure thing that I will not forget it and go to bed and leave it running!   <smile>

Regardz,

Wayne Stayton

Mercedes OM616 Four Cylinder Driving ST-24