Dont be afraid to use air cooled engines for CHP/CoGen applications

Started by veggie, July 17, 2022, 12:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veggie

The majority of CHP systems that we discuss here are water cooled.
Most web searches find systems that route cooling water to remote locations from the CHP unit.
Locations such as wall radiators, in-floor heating loops, and hot water storage are employed.
However, don't let the fact that your engine is air cooled dissuade you from pursuing your hobby/project.
If the CHP engine/Generator is to be used to heat the same space where the system resides, there may be no need for a water cooled engine. (EG: Garage or shop)
Let's face it, many systems are using the hot coolant water to eventually heat air in a building.
Most air cooled engines have a powerful cooling fan on the flywheel and this cooling air can be a great source of heat for a garage or shop.
This combined with electric resistance heat from the generator and thermal heat from the exhaust system can provide a very efficient CHP unit.
If the unit can be run on alternative or cheaper fuels, that's even better.

To take it a step further, some fancy ducting can be used to distribute the hot air around the space.

Of course, one drawback is that the heat generated by the cooling system cannot be stored in the same way that a water loop can heat a storage reservoir for future use.
But a resistance element powered by the generator along with an exhaust heat exchanger can certainly heat water if needed.
So the engine can heat the space, and the Gen head can provide power, and the exhaust can heat water.

What got me thinking about this is the 3 small air cooled diesels sitting in my garage  ;D

food for thought!

Tom Reed

My thought is that an RV generator could work well in this app as the hot air is already ducted.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom