News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Automating a 6/1

Started by JohnF, May 19, 2010, 05:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnF

Hi guys;

First, my apologies for not having followed this subject, mainly due to "black box" syndrome on my part.  A potential customer is asking if the start-up process for a 6/1 can be automated and if so, how.  I think what she is looking for is a turn-key solution or at least something that cna be installed relatively easily.  If someone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.  I guess what I'm looking for is someone who can pre-program whatever is needed and provide instructions as to mounting the hardware.
John F
www.woodnstuff.ca
Listers, Changfas, Redstones, AG's and anything else diesel I can get my hands on!

mobile_bob

i would think automating a 6/1 should be fairly easy, however
it comes down to what all she wants or needs automated? simple startup? based on what condition?

also it might be problematic getting someone to do this, unless you find an oem that is willing to set it up
for her, liability issues are significant. 

the last thing anyone needs is to have her or one of her kids around the engine when a command to start comes
in, and they get wound up in the flywheel,,, that could be ugly.

i don't know if i would want to build such a system for someone else unless i also built a full enclosure, with appropriate
guards, interlocks and disable switches set to defeat the system if the guards were compromised.

just the realities of life today i guess

bob g

JohnF

Likely right Bob.  She wants it to start when the batteries are low, it is for an off-grid application.  However, I might have to do the same thing, I have to go back on grid to accommodate the solar array I'm installing and I will want a back-up auto-start genny when (as it will) Hydro power goes down.
John F
www.woodnstuff.ca
Listers, Changfas, Redstones, AG's and anything else diesel I can get my hands on!

vdubnut62

When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

mobile_bob

Ron has it right on this one!

down the page it states they can set the thing up for autostart if the battery voltage gets down to a certain level

that is exactly what she needs,

the price is right, and looks like an elegant off the shelf solution to her needs.

bob g

JohnF

That looks like an ideal package - think I'll get one for myself first and try it on the Ch...Chunk...Chaggfer.....darn, why can't I type that word?
John F
www.woodnstuff.ca

mobile_bob

once you go changfa, you will never go back!

lol

bob g

ps. if no other reason than your ears can't take being around it!

:)

vdubnut62

YES! Mine sounds like the Chinamen left the rod bearing insert out of it.
Funny, it didn't make all that clunking racket until I broke down and put a muffler on it. ::)
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous