Electronic switch for Valve Actuator

Started by veggie, August 11, 2014, 09:50:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

veggie

Hi All,

My Arduino based CHP/Bat Bank Charger project is underway and I need some help determining what component I need to activate a motorized ball valve.
The valves are available with 2 wiring options and I am leaning more towards option #2 where a ground wire is constant and two positive connections are alternated depending on the valve position. However, if an off-the-shelf component makes option 1 easier, I can go that way.
I need to know the proper terminology for the required switch/relay which could perform such a task.
It would be a bonus if the component could respond to a 5vdc signal from the Arduino.

Eg: Arduino port HIGH = Valve open
    Arduino port LOW = Valve closed

Can any of you electronic gurus point me in the right direction ?  ???

cheers,
Veggie

The switch in the red box is what I am looking for....

BruceM

Hi Veggie,
Digikey has some solid state H-bridge controller chips that will do configuration 1, and have adequate power capacity for most motorized ball valves.  A TLE5206-2 would do the job, handles 5 amp motors.  Not cheap at $7 but does it all for you with a logic inputs you can wire straight to your Arduino.   There are other H-bridge drivers that are surface mount that are cheaper, but I expect you'd rather not deal with them.

For configuration 2, you need more parts: 2 p-ch mosfets and 2- small npn transistors to pull down the gates, some resistors.  This is what I'd do if I had the project in hand because I have the parts.  If you have to order the parts for this, you might as well do the dedicated chip and have cleaner, simpler design.

Best Wishes,
Bruce

veggie

BruceM,

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the H-Bridge Controller.
I will do some research in that area.

veggie

thomasonw

Hey Veggie,

The TLE5206 is what is being used to control the throttle motor.  One of the nice things about it is it handles all the internal race conditions that can happen with FET based H-bridges.  There is a companion TLE5205 part that is a bit more available - and for some reason lower cost.  It has a different logic table and the condition of low/low (ala, when the power to the CPU is off) is a drive position vs. 'park' of the TLE5206.  Not sure, but for valve control it might be a good choice - placing the valve into a closed (or open if that makes more sense) position.

-al-