Wiring up an Onan 10K to a Xantrex 5548 for auto start/stop

Started by Jedon, November 23, 2012, 03:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jedon

Xantrex no longer makes the generator start module for the SW5548+ but I found the pinout here: http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/showthread.php?13831-Generator-Start-Module-for-SW-Plus-4024
I have already installed automotive relays on the start and stop signals to the generator so I can start/stop it from the house manually which has been working fine, I provide +12v from the house with a transformer and send it down to the generator through some CAT5.
I've managed to get the generator to start but can't figure out the the stop relay ( RY8 )
Pin 1 and pin 2 are 12V Power supply to the GSM
Pin 3: RY7 signal
Pin 4: RY8 signal
Pin 5: RY11 signal
Pin 6: not used

RY7 is used for ignition enable/disable, or glow/stop with a diesel. This is set in Menu Heading 25 under 25A, depending on whether you select the GS, RN1 or RN2. GS (Glow/Stop) provides a momentary glow plug and stop signal to RY7, RN1 provides a continuous RY7 signal for engines that require ignition "on".

Cranking is provided by RY8.

RY11 is an alarm relay.

All three relays in the GSM have a common, NO and NC terminal.

What are common, NO and NC? Common is the negative terminal?
It says common but there is no common on the pinout?
Since I don't seem to need pins 1 and 6 I can just use a RJ11 instead of a full RJ25 jack?
The RJ11 jack I have hooked up has:
Black
Red
Green
Yellow
Can some one help me figure out what to hook where?
Thanks!!
-Jedon

BruceM

RY8 is the cranking relay, not glow/stop.
As for the RY7 glow/stop signal you should check to see what it says about the two different configuration options.  
You may have to hang a meter on it and see what it's doing.  You may need a time delay relay to convert the signal into a timed pulse to control your exiting shut down relay.   You didn't mention what that was, or what it did, and I can guess better if you do.

Senior moment comment on relays deleted to prevent further embarrassment. Thanks Ron.

Ronmar

Common, NO and NC represent the circuit path thru the relay, and usually refer to the de-energized relay.  NO means Normally Open and NC Normally Closed in reference to the common terminal.  So when de-energized, the common terminal has a circuit thru to the NC terminal.  When you energize the relay, the circuit thru the relay switches so the common terminal is connected to the NO terminal.   This type relay will have 5 terminals.  The common, NO and NC and two additional terminals. The two remaining terminals connect to the coil, so those would be where the current is applied to turn on/activate the relay...

The common NO and NC are just the connection points to the switch part of the relay so, like a switch, it dosn't matter what voltage polarity gets connected to which of those 3 terminals...
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

Jedon

Thanks so much guys!
Yes I got those mixed up sorry, I did use the voltmeter to figure out the RY8 starting relay, the problem is, when I put the voltmeter on the other wires they measure 12v so if I hook them up it would have the glow plug on the whole time it seems like.

I guess what I am really confused about is the common/ground, there doesn't seem to be one on the wire, I guess that means that the factory module physically connected to the inverter and used that as the ground?

I don't think I need a timed pulse control, the generator itself does that if it's given a short shut down pulse.

BruceM

Thanks for catching my error Ron.  I mixed up his common ground question with the relay question. Embarrassing.

Jedon,
The ground to use is the ground of pin one or two.  (Whichever is ground.) This would be used for both RY8 and RY7. 

RY7 is programmable, you need to check the manual on your unit to see how it's set up. If it's high even when the generator isn't being commanded to run then perhaps it needs to be programmed to operate at all.  If it's presently set to the "on when running" mode, then try the glow/off setting and see if that will do the trick.  If not, then you could use the "on when running", and use a programmable relay to create a positive pulse when RY7 goes low.

Jedon

Ohhh for some reason I saw that both were 12v power and assumed that meant +12V each, wondered why 2 were needed! I guess I need the rj25 after all.