transfer switch contactor 12 volt coil

Started by t1mower, January 07, 2012, 10:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t1mower

i figure you guys  might have one or at least know where or how to find one or a substitute.
in my 2008  rv there is a surge w/  auto transfer switch.  trc company model # aecm10040ag .
one of the contactors  inside is binding other is fine .  did a temp fix with wd-40 but would like a new one.

they will not sell me a contactor they say its too old ( i bought unit in 2008 new) want to sell me another for $ 800 plus ( no way )
they also do no repairs on their new units out of warranty, basically tell you too bad buy another!

anyway its a 12 volt coil / 3 pole 40amp fla 50amp res.  id really like to put in a 60amp fla .
because when plugged into shore power we get 240 50amp and i believe the neutral is getting overheated and causing the body of the contactor to distort.
i'm sure i can  install a contactor that is 60amp/3 pole  with a 120 volt coil and control that via a ice cube relay between the original 12 volt control wire and the 120 volt coil. all would be fine but would rather find a heavier amp 12 volt one .

the original contactor is a tyco /potter and brumfield # P31E42DFO108-01  problem with tyco they say it was a special order made just for this (TRC ) company.
i just cant believe there isn't someone else making these. its such a simple fix for say $40 verses $800 plus

any leads finding a contactor or maybe a original taken out unit i could scavenge a contactor would be appreciated.

tom   t1mower@verizon.net

rcavictim

A transfer switch in a motor vehicle.  Is this to transfer the load, in this case the RV 240 volt split phase breaker panel between one of two possible sources which are on-board AC genset and outdoor shore power receptacle?

Need pictures!
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

t1mower

all power comes into this unit 1st  weather shore or generator the surge tests for 100% clean power reversed wires ,opens etc before latching any power  it also opens if a high voltage or a low voltage exists  but this part of the system is 100% fine  its just the 1 contactor thats hanging up  the other is exactly the same and works fine.  but would like to replace both with a higher contact rating.

Lloyd

http://www.odysseyelectronics.net/ec/p-49.html try this web site, when I search the PB # P31E42DFO108-01, it says they have one in stock, I can add it to the cart so maybe they do have it. They will also send you the PDF spec.

Also try here http://www.te.com/catalog/bin/TE.Connect?C=20578&M=FEAT&P=150458&U=&BML=18019,18108&LG=1 and here is the pdf http://documents.tycoelectronics.com/commerce/DocumentDelivery/DDEController?Action=srchrtrv&DocNm=1308242_P31P41&DocType=DS&DocLang=EN for the P#1 sieres

Hope that helps you.

Lloyd

I found and down loaded the pdf...
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

t1mower

thanks i'll look + check with them  monday.      other options still welcome