News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Appliance Speed Contol

Started by LowGear, December 30, 2011, 01:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowGear

I have a weed whacker I'd like to run a lot slower.  Do any of you know of a device that will slow down appliances and not burn up?  Real men whack slowly.

Casey

Carlb

what you need is a slow speed diesel weed wacker
My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

Thob

Would a router speed control work?  Harbor freight has a Chinese one for less than $20, you can also search for them on Amazon.  They should work for most "universal" motors.  If your weed wacker has a brush type motor, then it most likely will work.  Check the current ratings before you buy.
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

XYZER

Quote from: Carlb on December 30, 2011, 02:03:40 PM
what you need is a slow speed diesel weed wacker
Where do they sell those?
Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

LowGear

Hi Thob,

Hey, I found the unit on Harbor Freight.  And Amazon.  And Ebay.  All the same unit (looks to be on the outside anyway) and cheapest to my door is Ebay.

You're not going to believe this but I've been visualizing a cheapskie 1/4 varible speed drill on the end of a PVC pipe with handle bars.  I'm hoping this will pass and I can go back to your sensible suggestion.

Thanks,

Casey

I had on of those slow speed diesel rigs.  One of the really good ones built in Iran.  But the mammoth ran off with it and buried it where I'll probably never find it.   

LowGear

Whew! 

That was a close one.  What I really need is another project.  I ordered the speed control device from Ebay this morning.  Why the electric weed whackers don't have speed control is beyond me.  Maybe it's because they sell to a neophyte crowd.  Real caretakers run their lines rather slow especially when doing fine work.

Thanks for the help.

Casey