News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Simple generator start

Started by Jedon, October 26, 2009, 06:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogerAS

Hey All,

For an engine run sensor I have thought of using the LED/LED as a sort of opto isolator like old floppy drives/VCR's used. Heck one might be able to salvage those easy enough. When a blocking material came between the two it triggers a signal or stops one.

On the end of the exhaust pipe a flapper with a backside extension would open/block the signal when the engine was running. A simple delay chip could be used to make sure pulses from start cranking weren't enough to activate things.

If this was hooked into the starter system it would lock out the starter when it sensed a run condition.

Am I not seeing something?

RS

Crumpite

RS,

The only real problem with optical sensors is dirt.
Industrial sensors tend to use some optics to spread the beam out so that a single smudge somewhere doesn't shut down the whole process.
This adds to the expense and package size to the point where it's a whole lot easier to use something else.

Little reed switches or Hall effect sensors with a magnet are a lot more robust and will likely give fewer problems.
Given how my engine room looks most of the time, I don't use optical sensors.

Daryl

BruceM

I agree, optical on an exhaust stack, outdoors would not be my favorite solution.  Like Daryl, I'd use hall effect or an inductive sensor so that dirt is a non-issue. 

RogerAS

Good thinking guys! I never thought of the crud issue.

RS