Honda EM5000S to Leece-Neville 555 alternator conversion

Started by Mad_Labs, September 02, 2011, 07:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad_Labs

Hey All,

I'm working on converting a Honda EM5000S generator to drive a 160 amp Leece-Neville 555 alternator. I got the unit free because it had blown the gen head, but the motor (GX370) is a sweet one, runs real solid. I have most of the mechanical stuff worked out and I think it is going to run sweet. I will be using my own charge controller, so no issues there.

Anyway, I have a few questions if there happens to be anyone that has some experience with these Honda gen units. I can find the shop manual for the engine but not the gen unit, which means that so far I am left to figure out a few things on my own. So the first question is: Does anyone have a PDF of the generator shop manual?

Here are a couple of general questions:

The unit has auto idle. I think the way it works is if there is no load, the engine idles and as soon as there is a load it slams it to full throttle. There is a solenoid that does the throttle movement. Anyone know if these can be PWM'd so as to have actual RPM control instead of either full throttle or idle? Mostly I am just concerned about overheating the solenoid if used continuously. I could swap the solenoid with a servo, but it would be easier to use the solenoid if it won't overheat. The object of course is to lower the RPM as we enter the absorption stage of charging to save fuel.

There is a vacuum do-hickey that seems to be an auto-choke. It has two wires as if it is  a sensor of some variety. Anyone know what is up with that? I'm guessing I can muddle through, but if anyone knows what's up with that lemme know.

Thanks for the help!

Jonathan