Would this work as a fuel shutoff for my Lister SR2?

Started by Jedon, December 26, 2010, 11:45:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jedon

LowGear

The size, voltage and price look right but where in the fuel line system would you place this.  I got into a rather lengthy thread about automatic fuel shut-offs and kind of got lost in all the information.  I was looking for a manual low-fuel system once I was warned about just running the unit out of fuel or turning the fuel source off.

Casey

potter

Would be a lot better to close the rack with a solenoid.Shutting off the fuel there's a good chance you will suck air into the lines.

Potter

Ronmar

I would NOT shutoff the fuel supply to shut down the engine, unless it was an emergency, say to stop a runaway...  How do you shut it down now, lever closing down throttle/rack?  That is the process you want to replicate remotely, either with a solenoid pulling it, or a spring pulling the lever, and a solenoid pulling a release latch like the trigger on a gun...  Do you disconnect the electrical load before shutdown?
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

Jedon

Oh hmm I hadn't realized that a fuel cutoff was much different than the governor. Right now the default position of the governor is to be on and it's spring loaded to keep it on. To turn it off I hold down the governor ( with a glove, it's a bit hot since it's air cooled ) until it slowly stops firing. I do not disconnect the load before that ( two Xantrex inverter/chargers plus the house ).
Would something like this work to hold it closed?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/77-78-BUICK-CHEVROLET-OLDSMOBILE-THROTTLE-HOLD-SOLENOID-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem230b3fb0acQQitemZ150512578732QQptZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_956

Jedon

bschwartz

- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

LowGear

I'm wondering if some sort of weighted lever or cable that once released by this or another less expensive solenoid would drop 5 pounds pull on the rack and close it.  I guess these solenoids don't consume much power; I just prefer normally off.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-04-Ford-Focus-Starter-Solenoid-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3cb5eae22fQQitemZ260750107183QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ford-Starter-Solenoid-/220505597914?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33572867da

Casey

Lloyd

http://www.murcal.com/core/media/media.nl?id=23645&c=650659&h=9e3ea124a237f887fdb5&_xt=.pdf

Why not do it the simple and safe way 2 gauges $40.00 bucks each, a solenoid $79.00, a little wire, and a whole lot cheaper then burning up an engine, add a tattletale, and it'll even help you trouble shot the shut down.

They even give you a wiring schematic to make it easy.
Or try a trombetta  http://www.trombetta.com/solenoids-products.cfm I  have 2  of these pulling my racks installed since 2003...seem to be perfect

Lloyd

JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

wiebe

Is a automatic door opener thats in a car not something from a junkjard.
Ore a servo from the rc scene .
If the govener lever is locked spring loaded just a puls of power to trip a spring that must be good .

More simple a thin rope from the engine to the house ??
kubota knd3

KeithO

Jedon

Funny that you mention rope and weighted pulls, that's what I'm currently using!
I ran about 250ft of nylon twine through eye hooks in trees from the house to the power shed and have it looped around a trailer hitch on a 5g bucket so when you yank the rope it knocks the hitch off the bucket and pulls the governor lever off. :-D
It does work fine but I can't automate it and it requires a certain technique that my wife hasn't mastered yet.
I don't think the twine will last all that long but I sure appreciated it when we got 3ft of snow in 24 hours!
My governor is spring loaded to stay on. I had thought of a spring release so I could use a weak solenoid.
For gauges, I don't have oil pressure or water temp so I guess it would just be air temp ( it's air cooled ) or maybe fuel level?
I would like to make it so I can use my control board to monitor battery voltage and turn the generator on and off as needed, I would still check on it once a day to make sure it has fuel and oil etc.

KeithO

Sounds like your half way there using a weight.
A starter motor one with its fork linkage comes to mind  to pull the rack.
A wireless doorbell with a relay bodge up could do the operating
Two I guess ,one to start one to stop

Jedon

Well I got the remote start hooked up and working, I got a starter solenoid off ebay and wired it in between the starter and battery. I hooked it to a pair of wires ( CAT5E 24g ) that run up to the house a couple hundred feet away. It worked at the shed but not from the house so I hooked a 12V relay off a car at the shed and feed it 12V from the house and it starts right up! Now for the shutoff, then the automation.