News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Plastic to oil

Started by billswan, January 25, 2010, 06:02:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cognos

Listen to Crofter...

If it's not a scam or a ham-fisted attempt at a money-grab, it's just dumb to do. Look at the videos! No protective gear, the "plant" consists of propane cylinders with obvious signs of exposure to heat and galvanized pipe, steaming samples taken in glass bottles with bare hands... ya, I want this guy giving me directions...

Wow... ;D ;D ;D

vdubnut62

billswan, you'll just have to trust me on this,  but that thing will NEVER make anything even remotely related to Moonshine! ;)
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

billswan

Guys

The plastic to fuel guy has put up another video.

Makes me want to go to work on my 16/1!

I like his gen shed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awmBC6EijIE

Billswan
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

rbodell

Quote from: billswan on March 10, 2010, 06:24:33 AM
Guys

The plastic to fuel guy has put up another video.

Makes me want to go to work on my 16/1!

I like his gen shed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awmBC6EijIE

Billswan

Here is another video using a microwave oven on the subject
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCcV0DhkDtk (wrong link removed, this is the correct link)
I am looking forward to senility,
you meet so many new friends
every day.

cognos

Nice. First half of the "video" is animation of some imaginary mystery facility somewhere. I didn't bother to watch the rest.

There is no magic to producing fuels - or any other petrochemicals - from waste "plastic" stock. The processes are well known and commercially available to anyone who wants to do it. These processes are as efficient as modern engineering can make them.

The only magic involved is doing it economically and in a safe and environmentally sound manner. This part is extremely difficult to do, and there's no payback in it commercially at all right now.
I suppose one could do it in China - or one's own back yard - and not worry about safety, and pour the liquid and solid byproducts into some pit or river somewhere, and hope the wind carries away the solvents fumes and poison gas... that would sure make the stuff less expensive to produce.

Why would I believe that a country that poisons it's children with tainted milk, and kills our pets with poison additives,  could produce anything in a responsible manner?

rbodell

Quote from: cognos on March 10, 2010, 08:35:12 AM
Nice. First half of the "video" is animation of some imaginary mystery facility somewhere. I didn't bother to watch the rest.

My mistake, wrong link, You can ignore it, but for everybody else, here is the correct link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCcV0DhkDtk

I am looking forward to senility,
you meet so many new friends
every day.

lowspeedlife

Quote from: cognos on March 10, 2010, 08:35:12 AM

There is no magic to producing fuels - or any other petrochemicals - from waste "plastic" stock. The processes are well known and commercially available to anyone who wants to do it. These processes are as efficient as modern engineering can make them.

The only magic involved is doing it economically and in a safe and environmentally sound manner. This part is extremely difficult to do, and there's no payback in it commercially at all right now.
I suppose one could do it in China - or one's own back yard - and not worry about safety, and pour the liquid and solid byproducts into some pit or river somewhere, and hope the wind carries away the solvents fumes and poison gas... that would sure make the stuff less expensive to produce!
why would I believe that a country that poisons it's children with tainted milk, and kills our pets with poison additives,  could produce anything in a responsible manner?

Yea but he's got a really nice lab coat !!   ;D ;D
  Scott R
Old Iron For A New Age

veggie

cognos

Once again, I'll believe it when I see it.

Already, the math is flawed.

First, he says 6000 tons of plastic will produce 1,000,000 barrels of oil... ???

(Pumping the stuff out of the ground doesn't produce that good! 1 million barrels of raw crude out of the ground is around 10% sand and water!)

Later, he says 1 ton of plastic will produce 3 to 5 barrels of oil... 6000 tons would produce roughly 18,000 to 30,000 barrels of oil... ??? ???

Fairly large gap in estimates, I'd say...

I standard barrel = 159 litres = approximately 314 pounds of oil (0.9 SG).

Therefore - 1 million barrels of oil weighs 314,000,000 pounds, or 157,000 tons.

That means he's adding 157,000 - 6000 = 151,000 tons of material. Wonder what material is being added? I'd guess chicken fat... ;D

Plus electricity.

Sounds like cheap! to me!

Oh ya. I'm lining up to buy it right now!  ;D ;D ;D

And, what about "Heat, Crack, Treat" is new?

I do agree, "limiting the oxygen" is pretty important. Those chemical plant explosions - you know, the ones where they don't limit the oxygen - are very inefficient at producing fuel, and a bitch to clean up.

(I'm just being sarcastic... ;D These stories always seem to pop up on slow news days, a lot like stories about electric cars, that are just around the corner for us all... I'd love to see an effective way to turn plastic into fuels. I've seen plenty, haven't seen a commercially viable one yet...)

cognos

A member sent me a link to this guy! He's back, and now he's an Alternative Process Entrepreneur (APE)!  ;D

http://www.fuel-from-plastic.com/

Not only fuel from plastic, but it works in gasoline and diesel engines! A true miracle, not even EXXON has this! Guy's an obvious genius.

And all he wants is $20 for information, so you too can do this in your back yard, with glass jars, garden hose, electrical conduit, and old propane tanks! Simple as fallng off a log.

::)

The only good thing about this website is that the website is so cheesy, most people will be smart enough to stay away. But be careful - the "Contact Us" link doesn't work, so you can't request any information about the process or an analysis of the fuel produced - but the PayPal link works, so you can join up!

(Just to re-iterate, in case someone can't see that I'm being sarcastic - in my opinion, making "fuel" out of plastic with some mystery process out in the back yard with scavenged equipment is a recipe for disaster - or disasters - like explosions, fires, illness and injury from toxic chemicals, pollution of air/water/soil, and likely destruction of your engine(s) with the resulting mystery fuel...)

They're Out There...  ;D ;D ;D