News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

BioDiesel Fuel Line Recommendations, Please

Started by LowGear, January 01, 2013, 02:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowGear

My diesel is 26 years old and I've finally had a fuel line failure.  Its all in a pretty workable area so why not change out everyone?  I don't need very much - Maybe 10 feet at this time.  I'd like something that I'd not have to worry about the next few years - perhaps 10.

I dream of some kind of clear line that I can see through with a bright yellow or green or even pink hue.  The fittings are all slip on with hose clamps.    I've looked at Viton and that's some expensive stuff and I can't see through the lines as they all seem to be black.

Casey

EBI-WPO

Casey,
I've been using Parker Push-lok 801 hose for all my fuel hose needs for a number of years now, no failures. Can't help you with a cost friendly clear hose, that would install easily, and remain leak free. Numerous types have been tried (by industry as well as individuals), and eventually leak air. Maybe Bob can help with some ideas.

Happy New Year,

Terry
To have B.S. aimed at you is an insult to your intelligence......To have B.S. spread about you is an insult to your character.....Neither should be tolerated willingly.   EBI-WPO 2010

veggie

LowGear,

The tested an proven hose for Biodiesel is Goodyear "Fuel injector hose".
The one with the Blue viton liner.
Refer to my post in the Changfa section here...

http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=268.0

cheers,
veggie

LowGear

Aloha Veggie,

The truth isn't always pretty but sometimes function simply must trump pretty.

Casey

BruceM

I used B99 with reinforced urethane tubing from USplastics for about 5 years. It's still going, though the additional two years are on dino. The tubing is not very clear by the 3rd year, it turns brown, like a brown glass bottle.  I use it for a sight gauge on my fuel tank as well as for the fuel line.  The sight gauge is still useable, but just barely.

Tom Reed

Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

bschwartz

When I had to add a fuel line for my Suburbans second tank for veg, I used aluminum fuel line.  Easy to bend and has held up well to veg.  All you need to do is find the Star Trek transparent aluminum.. ::) ::)
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

BruceM

I could really use  transparent aluminum for some display and projector EMI shielding projects!  ;)

mike90045

Quote from: BruceM on January 02, 2013, 09:12:40 AM
I could really use  transparent aluminum for some display and projector EMI shielding projects!  ;)

No good for EMI, it's alumina ceramic, crystallized to be clear.

veggie

Quote from: LowGear on January 02, 2013, 10:51:10 AM
This?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251207490192?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I can't see the blue liner.

Casey

Hard to say Casey, it may have a black viton liner. The only way to know is email the seller or ... check the goodyear website for the specs on that hose.
I do recall that mine cost $1.25 per foot when I bought it.

veggie

veggie

Ok...here it is....

http://www.goodyearep.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=5144

Rated for Biodiesel and Ethanol (with the blue or black core).
I think the stuff you found in the right type because the data sheets states that the blue core is discontinued in favor of black.

Hope this helps,
veggie

LowGear

Hi veggie,

I've been checking around and $5 a foot is pretty standard for the highest quality hose.  I may change to pretty good hose in stead.  To do the entire thing would take about 20 feet.  I do love my truck (in a manly way) so maybe another $100 isn't that much.

Notice the SAE 30R9 cannot be submersed in gasoline.

Casey

LowGear

IZZY is aline.

The dead line had what looked like a popped blister.  I changed out the two hard to get to lines with the best line I could find in town.  The other lines I more or less visually inspect every time I fuel up.  I wanted to buy some of that blue lined super stuff but I didn't want to wait a week for it to get here.  The line I got is rated at SAE 30R14.

I replaced the lines, turned on my temporary fuel pump which pulled about one amp off my battery charger and waited a couple of minutes while it circulated the fuel through the lines as I looked for weeps and leaks.  It did take about ten start-up tries and some very iffy running before smoothing out to all four.  I ran it for a few minutes and then shut it down, removed the axillary pump and ran it for about 20 minutes on the original factory pump.  As per Terry, it keep on ticking.

Again, thanks for the help.

Casey

LowGear

You're not going to believe this.

The fuel hose on my tractor just went out.  Not quite so hard to figure out as this unit has an electric lift pump so I can tell you where the hose first started failing - today- and how I got it back to the garage.

I am buying 25 feet of the super Goodyear injector fuel hose from Amazon for $100 including shipping.

So what are the odds that I got a really bad load of biodiesel or is fate just pulling my chain.

Casey