we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

B100 - Dino & WVO Lift Pump Recommendation Wanted

Started by LowGear, December 23, 2012, 12:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBI-WPO

Thanks guy's

Casey,
Any luck on troubleshooting? Parts WERE available to rebuild the lift pumps at one time, have not seen anything but complete assemblies for a while. Unless somethings wedged/scored in the bore, or a check sticks, they are not prone to failure for many, many miles. Interested in your findings. Did you bypass filters yet?

Terry
To have B.S. aimed at you is an insult to your intelligence......To have B.S. spread about you is an insult to your character.....Neither should be tolerated willingly.   EBI-WPO 2010

LowGear

Aloha Terry,

Today is work on the truck day. 

I think my first step will be to suck some of the bottom off the tank.  On these trucks with saddle tanks you can put your finger inside the tank.  I can't see the bottom with a flash light.  I know this isn't the short term question but I live at the end of a 700 drive that rises almost 250 feet.  It really tires my wife out to push this 4 ton unit up that drive (someone has to steer).  OK, my neighbor stops by with his tundra but AAA doesn't support commercial vehicles.  Is there a service that does?

I might even throw some grease cutting soap on her (the truck) and wash it off with a low pressure electric washer.  Don't let your imaginations get unbridled.  I can see the nuts, bolts and banjo fittings but I'd like them to be clean when I pull them apart for inspection.

For the fuel to get to the pump it has to go through a water trap and a NAPA dual parallel fuel filter.  I'll be surprised if there is anything in the screen at the mechanical lift pump screen but that will be my first wrench.  Priming that pump shouldn't be too tough.  I bought a cheapski electric lift pump I just may sneak it into line pre-filter but post water trap to accomplish this task.  Messing around with a gravity feed to the lift pump and keeping everything pristine just doesn't seem easy to me.  The filters I removed on the road were really clean but about half full on the inside.

Now the nasty stuff is kept on the outside of the medium where you can't see it by peeking inside the filter - right?  The fuel or oil comes in on the outside of the filter can, passes through the filter medium and then flows through the center hole on the mounting bracket.  This is a correct assumption isn't it?

It's still down in the 60's (68 actually) so I'll wait an hour or two until it warms up before I go out there and brave the elements.   ;D

Thank you all for your interest and advice.  I look forward to getting the answer to the filter flow question.

Aloha,

Casey

EBI-WPO

Casey,
It will be interesting to see if your electric will pull thru the water seperator. If the filters past that are half full, it would suggest either water seperator (or tank strainer) is plugged, or an air leak between it and Dual filters. Of course, all bets are off if the hand primer is leaking air and killed pump suction from the git-go. If you can pull through the water seperator, and push through the filters to the original lift pump, it is likely an air leak at the hand primer, stuck check, or similar.

Good luck,
Terry
To have B.S. aimed at you is an insult to your intelligence......To have B.S. spread about you is an insult to your character.....Neither should be tolerated willingly.   EBI-WPO 2010

LowGear

Status Report:

I got the fuel out of the tank.  It doesn't look too bad but there is a scum on the inside of the tank.  This is usual for all I know.  The pick-up strainer looked clean.  I could see the round holes in the little can.  

I washed the tank to injector pump to the other side of the engine.  You know how addictive those pressure washers are.  The injector is a Bosh Licensed 105210 86(8) or B or 3.  It was far more dirty below the pump.  than the rest of the engine except right at the oil filler.  I had been thinking it was sloppy oil filter changing but a leaky hose on the pump would drip or ooze right in this area.  

Tomorrow - Pump

Where's the check valve?

EBI-WPO

Casey,
There are two check valves, one below the Hand Primer (access by removing same), and one below the outlet line (remove banjo bolt and line to access). These are both on the top side of the Lift pump, and have a spring above them.

Good luck,
Terry

LowGear

Aloha Terry,

I'm so relieved.  It rains two, maybe three days in December here in Honaunau - South Kona, Hawaii.  It rained Christmas all day.  This is neat on a farm.  So I thought "What the Hell, I'll leave the truck out dump and cab up as well.  I think I would have gotten away with that but I got extra lazy and left my pet tractor out as well.  Just as I popped the banjo on the lift pump to inspect the screen it started to rain.  "Is it a teaser or a real one?"  "Damn the torpedoes - Full speed ahead.  The screen had one chunk of something on it so I reassembled it.  I put some silicone grease on the o-ring so the bolt wouldn't rip it up as I put it under 22 pounds of torque.  (Don't believe everything you read on the internet.)

So I next put the electric fuel pump in for testing purposes right off the tank pick-up tube.  I'd like to say I cracked the banjo at the lift pump but I'm just not that sophisticated.  I pulled the rubber line off the metal tube that passes through the frame about a foot before the banjo.  It took a moment but then there was fuel.  By the time I got it slide back on I could hear fluid hitting the ground.  Residue from the line crack?  Rain finding an escape route?  NO! I shouted with glee.  The return line from the lift pump was spewing diesel onto the ground.  It was starting to rain where "No can work, Bra - rain coming down." was the astute observation.  I put everything away, pushed the truck under it's tent, parked the tractor next to it and it continued to rain even better.  What a great time to wash the solar panels.

So I feel the next step is to replace most of the 26 year old fuel lines.  Is everyone burned out on this tread?  Should I stay with it and seek recommendations for fuel lines that will carry anything through the next two decades?

Thanks for hanging in there Terry.

Casey

LowGear

IZZY is aline.

The dead line had what looked like a popped blister.  I changed out the two hard to get to lines with the best line I could find in town.  The other lines I more or less visually inspect every time I fuel up.  I wanted to buy some of that blue lined super stuff but I didn't want to wait a week for it to get here.  The line I got is rated at SAE 30R14.

I replaced the lines, turned on my temporary fuel pump which pulled about one amp off my battery charger and waited a couple of minutes while it circulated the fuel through the lines as I looked for weeps and leaks.  It did take about ten start-up tries and some very iffy running before smoothing out to all four.  I ran it for a few minutes and then shut it down, removed the axillary pump and ran it for about 20 minutes on the original factory pump.  As per Terry, it keep on ticking.

Again, thanks for the help.

Casey

EBI-WPO

Casey,
Good to hear that it's running again.

Terry