News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

B100 - Dino & WVO Lift Pump Recommendation Wanted

Started by LowGear, December 23, 2012, 12:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowGear

Well I found them for $111 but the catch is I have to buy 15.  The onesie-twosie price is $186.  It's looking like I going to NAPA or Amazon.

Casey

bschwartz

- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

bschwartz

.... And further searching found these.
The FRB-22-2 is rated at 8-11 PSI 12V.
If I needed another, I'd look at these for $113

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/walbro-frb-variable-frequency-reciprocating-fuel-pump
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

LowGear

QuoteThe FRB-22-2 is rated at 8-11 PSI 12V.
I like the piston rather than diaphragm concept.  And it's in the budget criteria.

Casey

EBI-WPO

What year is your NPR? Is the IP an inline "A" pump? If it is, the lift pump is not that hard or expensive to replace, and would serve you better than an electric anyway.

Also, if it is the "A" pump, there is a small strainer at the inlet to the lift pump that plugs up with tank debris.
If the hand operated "primer" pump is bad, it is replaceble for less than $25

Terry
To have B.S. aimed at you is an insult to your intelligence......To have B.S. spread about you is an insult to your character.....Neither should be tolerated willingly.   EBI-WPO 2010

EBI-WPO

Lowgear,
If your NPR has a 4BD1T, or 4BD2T, the lift pump looks like the attached pic.
To have B.S. aimed at you is an insult to your intelligence......To have B.S. spread about you is an insult to your character.....Neither should be tolerated willingly.   EBI-WPO 2010

LowGear

Hi Terry,

Izzy is a 1986 which means the engine is a 4BD1T. 

The air bubbles coming up on the return line in the fuel tank led me to believe the primer pump was working about as good as they ever do.  I've looked at your drawing and I can't see where the strainer is located? 

Casey

EBI-WPO

Hi Casey,
When you pull the inlet hose (usually a banjo retained by the inlet bolt), the strainer is either inside of the banjo or the bolt, it is quite small and plugs easily. It is meant to catch the big stuff really. Back to your problem, if the filters you mentioned are BEFORE the lift pump, it is unlikely the small strainer is the issue. BUT, if the filters you mentioned are before the lift pump, they are all subject to being a source of an air leak, and possibly your no run condition. On most of these, the low micron filter(s) were after the lift pump, and before the IP.
If possible connect the inlet to the lift pump to a clean (small) container of clean diesel, pump up with hand pump, bleed at top of IP, then try to start, with the possibility that your pre-filters are the problem.

Also, if your hand pump is like the pictured one, they are notorious for developing air leaks. Look on Ebay for Mercedes Bosch Hand pump. I'll try to find my reference #'s to verify, but there are two main types, conical seat, and copper washer seat.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-DIESEL-BOSCH-HAND-PRIMER-PUMP-/150722262747?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2317bf36db

Terry

LowGear

EBI-WPO

Quote from: LowGear on December 28, 2012, 01:50:30 AM
Wow Terry,

Can I be your friend?

Casey

Casey,
I am not quite sure how to respond to that........

But if you're interested, I have attached a few pics of my F150 which has been powered with a 4BD1 for over 70K miles.
Enjoy,

Terry

EBI-WPO

LowGear

Nice credentials.

Don't worry about responding.  The child in me takes over the keyboard and pushes the "Post" button before I have time to provide adult leadership.

Did you purchase the conversion adapters or make your own?  I seem to recollect a company that made them for Chevrolet.

Is there any real advantage to the 4BD2T and it's indirect injection?  I dream of WVO and front disk brakes.

Casey

EBI-WPO

Casey,
We bought the motor in 1981, when Isuzu was trying to compete with Cummins in the bread truck re-fit market. It was N/A and we bought it with a Chevy conversion kit (as seen in the one picture). To put it in my Ford, I re-drilled the adaptor plate for Ford, and coerced the hub into thinking it was Ford like. The hub plate bolts to the flywheel, then the hub bolts to it, then a flywheel or flexplate is bolted to that. The extra flywheel mass doesn't hurt a bit. Fun project, but the motor had been in a Dodge van from 1981 until 1987, then it sat unused until 2008. The Ford runs like a 300 six on steroids, and over 70K+ has averaged (all told) 25.1 mpg.

Terry

mike90045

Quote from: EBI-WPO on December 28, 2012, 10:12:24 PM
... The Ford runs like a 300 six on steroids, and over 70K+ has averaged (all told) 25.1 mpg.  ...

Must not hate fellow compression heads..   must not hate...

vdubnut62

Huh! Nice, but I dunno why anyone would want to waste a good engine like that on a Ford...... :D
(ducking and running for my life) ;D

Seriously, I'm jealous!
Ron.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous