News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

B100 - Dino & WVO Lift Pump Recommendation Wanted

Started by LowGear, December 23, 2012, 12:28:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowGear

The lift pump died in my NPR truck.  That's my current prayer at any rate.  It's integrated into the injector pump and my local guru has had the same problem with his truck.  The injector pump is around $850 so sticking an electric lift pump in back by the tank seems like a simple and cheap alternative.  I've seen a couple of deals on Ebay but they're labeled gasoline.

Does anyone know of "the" pump to stick onto this 12 volt truck?

Casey

pressurepro

If your looking for a  reliable 12v low pressure pump that is diesel specific. Look at mr gasket brand...they are green colored for diesel....I have 6 of them on rental industrial pressure washers that run for hours at a time...no problems...about 60 Bux and can get st most auto parts...ebay has them also.......

Ronmar

Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

pressurepro

Yep thats it....and oriellys is where I get them lol....

bschwartz

I find it funny that it is rated for diesel, but "*not for fuel injected applications* "
Since all diesels are fuel injected............
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

artificer

Quote from: bschwartz on December 23, 2012, 04:35:36 PM
I find it funny that it is rated for diesel, but "*not for fuel injected applications* "
Since all diesels are fuel injected............

Sounds funny, but...

Diesel rating is probably for the seals.  Injector rating is for the pressure.  Typical fuel injection system (gas) is 40-80psi.

Michael

Edit for OP:  Who makes the injection pump?  I'm used to VW Bosch systems, and they tend to be rebuildable.  Many times with just a seal kit.  More typical is plugged filters or screen in the tank.  Does your truck have a check valve?  Some times they stick, and you don't get any fuel.

Jens

I have used the el cheapo fuel pump (as mentioned above) and it failed in short order when running veggie oil. The only pump I can recommend is one that I have on the tip of my tongue (sticks out tongue) but just can't get the name to come to me. I had a spare one that I sold to Veggie, maybe he can chime in with the name ??????
The el cheapo is ok for diesel but don't try running straight veggy oil through it. The pump I am thinking about is a also not rated for straight veggy oil but has proven itself in many installations. It is a plunger type pump whereas the other pump is a rotary pump. If I recollect correctly, the motor runs all the time. The plunger pump only runs when the output pressure drops (ie fuel is being used).

Found it .... Walbro FRB-5 is the pump I am talking about. Price is about twice that of the el cheapo pump but it is well worth the money and then some!

bschwartz

The "diesel" rated was a joke... I understand it was a pressure issue......  ::)

I'm with Jens on the FRB-5 pumps.  I've had two in my two tank Chevy Suburban for 3 years.  I keep a spare in the truck just in case, but they have performed flawlessly for about 40,000 miles.  I always thought the pump on the veg side would fail, but it just keeps on thumping.
- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170

LowGear

OK, Here's the current round-up.

My WVO Hawaii guru uses the Napa version Facet BK 610-1050 and runs filtered WVO in his NPR - $80 at the nearest NAPA.  They've changed it since he bought his three years ago.

Mr. Gasket Electric Fuel Pump (Micro) - # 12D Diesel

This Facet Gold Flow  http://www.ebay.com/itm/300835779115?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Walbro FRB-5

So when I use the pump handle on the lift pump part of the injector pump I do get bubbles coming up in the tank from the return line.  Yes my thumb feels like it's going to fall off and I'm still getting bubbles.  The injector pump is many hundreds of dollars so a hundred for a first class lift pump doesn't seem bad.

Casey

Jens

I am not sure if the bubbles from the RETURN line tell you anything.
Be aware that the Walbro pump is a low pressure pump, I think it's less than 10 psi. Some injector pumps require a much higher pressure and may have a lift pump and a high pressure pump before the injector pump (ie my F350 Diesel). The Walbro pump is only usable as a lift pump.

bschwartz

Jens, I take it that your F350 is a post '94 powerstroke, as my '94 IDI only has a lift pump.
- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170

LowGear

Just pulled one of the new filters off.  Dry as Death Valley.  The line comes out of the tank to a water separator and then to parallel NAPA filters and then to the pump.  I pulled the line coming out of the filters and blew backwards and got bubbles coming back into the tank on the pick-up line as well.

The a fore mentioned Facet pump from Napa that fixed my local expert's NPR is rated at 4-7 PSI.  He also reports that the bubbles are normal.

I'm looking for a source and a price on the Walbro FRB-5 pump.

Casey

Jens

Quote from: bschwartz on December 24, 2012, 02:39:20 PM
Jens, I take it that your F350 is a post '94 powerstroke, as my '94 IDI only has a lift pump.

Correct!

Jens

Quote from: LowGear on December 24, 2012, 06:14:36 PM

I'm looking for a source and a price on the Walbro FRB-5 pump.

There are only a couple of places on the internet and no bargains are to be had, unfortunately :(