we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Witte Dieselelectric 12HP

Started by flywheel, September 18, 2010, 11:25:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flywheel

Quote from: slowspeed on October 29, 2010, 09:06:47 AM
Hi Flyweel
How is that big Witte doing ?I also have a Witte 15 HP Gas or was set up for Propane
Model c15rc bore 6 stroke 8  ser # 43528
Have not taken any time for this engine
It is gas and I am in to Diesel right now
See you have a Benz is it running WVO
My son is planing a move to hawaii from Phoenix
Is their a need for or are people looking for Lister Witte Engines? Wold like to get him set up useing Oil for his power in Hawaii
Jeff

The Benz is not set up for WVO but can be if needed, I just use diesel fuel.

People are always looking for Witte and Lister engines, they are two different brands.  The listers were made in England and the Witte engines were made in the USA.
                                                                                           flywheel

Never met a diesel engine I didnt like.

flywheel

Today I finally had the time to have a look  INSIDE the model MD witte engine.  This engine has been in storage for over 20 years.  It was also partially rebuilt about 25 years ago and has very little use since then.  That is why I bought this engine, it saves a lot of time and a lot of cash.

I decided it would be best to check inside the crankcase to see if I would see anything that might not be right.
This engine has a pinkish color to it from body filler dust, the owners son worked on restoring muscle cars inside the building where this engine was stored.

Crankcase access is on the top of the crankcase thru a oval shaped cover.  The crankcase vent and baffles are also attached to this cover.  This is also the oil fill opening.

First thing I noticed was the interior of the engine was coated with a orange sealer like glyptal.  Everything is massive inside this engine, built like a tank.

flywheel

flywheel

Bottom of crankshaft counter weights

admin

i like it!!!

a lot!

now that is an engine, looks very well built in there
the crank has tapered roller brg mains?

what a brute

bob g

flywheel

I have a manual on a CD ordered for the Witte model MD engine but it has not arrived yet.  The Witte engine is very easy to work on. 

I will first check the rod bearing clearance with plastigage and the condition of the rod journal.   This engine was made in 1942.  At 68 years old there will certainly be wear to engine components.

The Witte does have Timkin roller bearing on both sides, they came new with Timkin bearings.

flywheel

LowGear

Hi flywheel,

I'm really glad someone is doing it the right way.  I've decided to hook the juice up and pray.  In my next life I will be organized and professional.  As you know, my BD is physically about 40% lighter in many ways although it's also close to 6 feet long.  It's really nice to see what it would look like if I were to pop the lid off and do all the stuff you're doing.

Keep up the good work and photos.

Casey

flywheel

I have never owned a Witte engine before I bought this one so I'm in the learning stage.  I'm impressed with the quality and engineering that went into the Witte engines.

Today I noticed that the crankcase block is also stamped with the same serial number as the engine identification tag.   If the id tag is missing from a similar type engine the serial number can be found stamped on the upper crankcase block under the access cover where the gasket is installed.  The gasket would have to be removed to see the serial number.  

flywheel

Here are some pix of the old rod bearings that were removed from my Witte engine  sometime in the mid to late 80's by the mechanic that partially rebuilt this engine.  The old gent I bought this engine from still had them sitting on the shelf in the shed when I picked the engine up.

It appears they are made of bronze with a babbit lining, it would seem to me that if the babbit ever wore through  there would bronze contact with the crankshaft journal.  I believe this would be much better than steel backing which would score the crankshaft.

After 45 years of use I would say they held up pretty well, they look rough but there is no bronze showing through the babbit.

One of the bearings is marked on the back with F. M.  MD  126 - D,  FM could mean Federal Mogul,  MD is the model number of this engine and I don't know what the 126 - D is.  It could be Witte's part number.
                                                                                                              flywheel

RogerAS

I'd day the lower end is in fairly good shape from the bearings.

Can you tell us how wide those bearing surfaces are and what od the crank is. That looks real wide and made to run on a fat throw. Sweet. I'd love to find an older engine like your Witt, you lucky dog.

RS

flywheel

A quick measurement with a small rule shows the crank od to be just under 3", the bearing width is also just under 3" wide.
                            flywheel

Diesel Guy

Flywheel,

It is great to see there is someone else who joins the Witte engine team. That's a very durable engine you have there. Those bearings need replacing, and you might have to pour your own bearings, because there are no factory bearings left in the country, that I know of.

All the babbitting supplies you need are here at Hit & Miss. We have Babbitt, Damtite (damming compound), flux, and even a pamphlet on how to pour babbitt.
Click here http://www.hitnmiss.com/24.html#babbitt to go to our on-line catalog and check out our babbitting supplies as well as our new and reproduction parts.

As always, if you don't see what you are looking for give us a call, we may have other items that are not listed.

Hit & Miss Enterprises
Orwell, Ohio
(440)272-5335

I'm just taking my time with my engine, I done an exstensive overhaul and even calculated a projected flat torque curve, to be emphasized between 350 RPM to 450 RPM then reground the cam to my specs to maximize lowend torque. I changed my design a few times. Now I'm operating my engine at 360 RPM and 440 RPM only. I done so many upgrades, totally new oiling system, new fuel system, etc. as well as replacing every single component that was subjected to wear.

When I'm done it will be as "new" throughout and "Specially Designed" for low speed operation only, by not just turning down the governor and calling it low speed. I'll mention all my upgrades when I post my you tube video of the fully operating powerplant.

Good luck with you project and if you need help with anything let me know,
Diesel Guy

flywheel

Diesel Guy

Thanks for posting that information on supplies for old engines.  Perhaps Admin. will add that to the parts and or supplies section. 

The bearings shown in my post are the bearings that were removed about 25 years ago,  the owner had saved them and he gave them to me when I picked this engine up a week or so ago. 

I will be posting more pix of the bearings that are installed in this engine now.  They were installed about 25 years ago.  They look different than the original bearings, they are made of what appears to some kind of aluminum or babbitt.  They are insert type, not a poured bearing.  Maybe you will reccognize the style bearing I have in my engine.

Can you post a few pix of your Witte project, I'm sure others would love to have a look?  AW come on, you can do it.  please?
                           flywheel

Diesel Guy

Flywheel,

I been at a standstill until my camshaft was finished. Here is before and after pictures. I'm busy all week on other projects, but will start again Sunday night.

Stock camshaft

Modified camshaft
Note the extra narrower cam lobe?

The modified camshaft features, a calculated high lift, ultra short duration, minimum valve overlap and a delayed exhaust valve opening, timing. By delaying the opening of the exhaust valve, increases the "effective power stoke" and burn time. This configuration enhances  the thermodynamic efficiency at extreme low RPM, by allowing the expanding gasses to push "longer" on the piston before exhaust valve opening, on "every" power stroke. When a camshaft opens the exhaust valve early (high speed capability, grind), it releases a small amount of usable heat energy, right out the exhaust valve, at low speeds, therefore lowers the Brake Mean Effective Pressure. This modified cam grind also, lowers the heat loading, to the cylinder head, under full load. The downside of this grind (in camshafts there is always have a give and take) the engine loses it's stock high speed capability (800+ RPM) and runs out of steam anything over 500 RPM. But when operating below that figure, the engine will produce much higher Brake Mean Effective Pressure, at peak torque, which in turn, is capable of producing much tighter AC frequency regulation, than the stock camshaft, in the 360 RPM and 440 RPM modes. Due to, it is more difficult to slow an engine down with a load when it's operating on it's peak torque curve. The fuel consumption rate will be minimal, with this engine, when completed.

Diesel Guy

Diesel Guy

Here is a few more pics, I still have a ways to go before finished, now that I have the camshaft back, I can finish installing the other flywheel and then start putting it together.

Diesel Guy

flywheel

Diesel Guy

Thats a very interesting mod you are doing to your cam,  can you post a side view  pix of the cam?  What year and model is your Witte engine, I see it has spoked flywheels.   

Maybe there are more Witte owners in the background just watching,  sure are a lot of views for this topic for no longer than its been on.
                                       flywheel