News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Cogeneration in 1912

Started by quinnf, September 19, 2013, 11:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glort

Quote from: LowGear on November 11, 2013, 11:27:50 AM
Resistance is Futile!  (British accent please  fu-tile)
Resistance is Futile!

I just said that very thing on another thread before I saw this one!
I was thinking of something from Star trek. No idea what the relationship to a british accent is but there you go!

quinnf

Have you ever heard Shakespeare read by a Texan?  It just doesn't sound right!  

I wanted to read a book by John Lennox, a professor of mathematics at Oxford.  I didn't have time to read it, so I bought the book in .mp3 form on a CD to listen to while driving.  It's read by an American.  Having heard lectures by Lennox in the past, I have to say that he speaks the language beautifully.  Almost like a native.  That's a joke; he's Irish by birth.  But the particulars of British English diction are different enough from that of American English, when one hears words authored by someone like Lennox read by an American, the result sounds oddly flat and contrived.  

How about my favorite book, the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.  You can't get much more British than most anything that was written by the late, great Douglas Adams.  I listened to the original BBC radio series while I was in college, and I have the original video series, also produced by the BBC.  Despite the hokey low-budget production, it was wonderful.  However, when The HTTG was re-made for the cinema in the U.S. several years ago, some genius decided to populate the cast with American actors, and the dialog suffered horribly.  

Was it Churchill who said Britain and America are two nations divided by a common language?

q.

glort

Quote from: quinnf on November 12, 2013, 09:00:42 AM
Have you ever heard Shakespeare read by a Texan?  

I have a very dear texan mate who I only get to see once every 1-2 years. He's a world famous Author that comes to OZ on his lecture tours.

When he gets here, he'll ring me and say in his thick Texan Drawl,  " Ahey there ol dave! How you doin good Buddy?"
I always Say great thanks George, how about you?  He'll then laugh and say " How ya'll always know it's me?"

I tell him, "George, I can pick your voice easier than I could pick my wifes!".
He always seems to be amused and an a bit amazed at that!

;D

quinnf

I suppose Shakespeare read with a thick Aussie twang might sound a little odd, too, come to think of it.   :P

q.

glort