News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

How to add refrigerant?

Started by BioHazard, February 27, 2012, 05:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Reed

+1 with Throb on the air. Make sure you have a good vacuum on it and that the system holds vacuum overnight. I used to build some of the woulds coldest freon refrigeration systems. They were used to replace liquid nitrogen in vacuum system cold traps. They got down to -280f and used a mixture of freon's in a cascade system.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

vdubnut62

Quote from: Tom on February 29, 2012, 11:01:26 AM
+1 with Throb on the air. Make sure you have a good vacuum on it and that the system holds vacuum overnight. I used to build some of the woulds coldest freon refrigeration systems. They were used to replace liquid nitrogen in vacuum system cold traps. They got down to -280f and used a mixture of freon's in a cascade system.

Now that's cold enough to test your frosticles! :D
Ron.
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

bschwartz

- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

bschwartz

- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

Tom Reed

Those fancy self tappers will work, but since the freon is going to be drained anyway just solder (use 95/5) on a schrader valve to the stubs if present. The self tappers are a likely place for a leak to form as they are subject to vibration. Do you have a picture of the compressor and suction/discharge lines you could post?
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

Ronmar

Exactly what Thob said, with one addition.  In addition to a leak to atmosphere that creates a mixture that falls within the UEL and LEL, you also need a source of ignition that occurs within the vapor cloud that is within the U and L limits...  I know people set crap on fire every minute of every day, but it really does take a specific set of circumstances to start and support combustion.

Inside the system, Propane acts just like amonia or any cluro-flurocarbon phase change refrigerant.
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

BioHazard

Quote from: Tom on February 29, 2012, 06:06:05 PM
Do you have a picture of the compressor and suction/discharge lines you could post?
When I'm done all the plumbing will be "custom". I'm going to change the condenser to a coil of copper tubing inside a homemade heat exchanger to run water over it. We'll see how hot I can make my little pond this summer.  ;D I might build a new case for it so it's no longer window mounted.

Those valves definately clear up a lot of confusion for me. I was searching for "service ports".  :)
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

Derb

Hi Fellas. A lot of the early jap Import cars coming into NZ had been topped up with LPG by dodgey Japanese car dealers. they ran for years without giving trouble. No horror stories of cars going up in an inferno after a crash etc etc etc. Not that i would do it but it obviously works. cheers, derb.
Derb.
Kawerau
Bay of Plenty
New Zealand
Honda EU20i
Anderson 2 HP/Fisher & Paykel PM conversion
Anderson 3.5 HP
Villiers Mk20
Chinese 6500 watt single phase 4 stroke