new here , hello and 48 volt systems with ups

Started by jcyoungs76, June 22, 2014, 07:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcyoungs76

Hello all , been lurking for about a week or so . lots of projects currently outfitting my buddies 42 footer with a 140 amp grasser alternator , and regulator , nickel irons to come, custom 2 groove billet pulleys are in the lathe now :) That project im pretty well ok with . moving back to Mo in the next 6 wks read mobile bobs moving experience and while not quite as large I find myself with at least 25000 lbs to make the journey with. So I decided i will go offgrid when i return , started investing this spring picked up 4 l16s and a 458 xantrex, built a few solar panels ( note on this DONT build your own solar panels unless 100 percent b.s.c.  :P ) . So I have a friend that runs an electronics recycling company and I find like 6 5kw ups and 2 10 kw units for well my favorite FREE!!
great !!!. so the ups are 48 volt , i have 24 volts worth of l16 at 810 ah , and have been buying wet cell nicd . So now i have to reinvent the wheel all of these inverters are 48 volts , the 10 kw are 288 ( no way im buying batteries for that today ) , and all of my extra revenue tied up in the l 16 and xantrex which i really dont want to dispose of because right now it is a functional system even with the crappy homemade solar panels. just putting this out there for any advice, of note as well currently trying to trade a friend out of his lister compressor that i think needs rings and sleeves and want to run 48 volt with it but really need to get to roughly 5 kw to be able to utilize these inverters to their potential. I have seen much refence to bobs white paper but in 1 wk of searching i cannot in any way locate the actual paper could someone please post me a direct link as i believe this info could be highly invaluable to me . Thanx and hello.
Jeremy
4 l16 , 8 ups 300 watts homebuilt solar panels , 1 modified dr44g in progress , hopes of a 48 volt system

jcyoungs76

slight update 5 of so far 11 ups function. wonderful!!! the other 5 still need powered up and tested , i am not looking forward to huffing those batteries up and down the stairs uggh  :'(
Oh so the elventh arrrgh its the only 24 volt ups i have and it would mate nicely to all my existing hardware the 4 l 16 trojans , 6 horse gas genny , and the ford alternator i scrounged at work , but alas i cant get it to life yet.  ??? so i will head to work to grab a few tools and see what makes this triplite tick  ;) . it would be murphy , i get 5000 dollars or more of ups give to me and the one i really need to work just doesnt .  alas i am not here to gripe i will venture on and figure this out and see what happens then i will post
4 l16 , 8 ups 300 watts homebuilt solar panels , 1 modified dr44g in progress , hopes of a 48 volt system

mobile_bob

i do hope  you have better luck with tripplite than i have had!

never had any longevity out of their inverters, and because of that i run from their ups systems like they had the plague.

bob g

jcyoungs76

well bob it is the ugly duskling of the bunch but it being 24 volt right now and needing to have at least something functional when i get to missouri i would have liked it to work  :'(
But all the others are apc 3000, 5000 120 and 240 . all good units so far i think 5 now . they have spent there last few months in pallets on a sometimes wet floor of my buddies recycling center. so i really cant complain I am impressed to see these things hauled out of such rough storage, opened up inspected cleaned and they have just fired up thats pretty spectacular!
I hated to pass on the 10 kw unit but it is just too big and i feel it will be years before i can achieve a decent matched battery pack at 288 volts , but just one inverter running the show would be sweet :o

I perused your moving thread a few weeks ago and with the first being the date i am currently feeling everything you shared with the group and found myself in familiar territory. This is the third time I have left commie ny and the second for my family . i hope that In the future it is only to visit that I ever come back , It is so beautiful here but damn cold and the politics are utterly reprehensible to an ole farm boy such as myself.
So as to your comment about triplite yeah im not real impressed here i think maybe the internal battery is cashed or there is a corroded terminal but alas as this is a vacation week i dont have my 2 foot snapon phillips to get the 6 inch deep screws to remove the panel , and the apcs just let you pull 2 screws and remove with pull tags for emergency disconnect . yeah i think its junk but i gotta pull it apart so i will go in tomoroow , be suckered in to working and bring home my screwdriver.

Which brings me to  I have 2 late model alternators, the ford one is i think a delco 17 si i have had the back off of it the brushes are easy enough and i think i will just cut the regulator out of the holder and attach wires for field control , then split the case for removal of diodes and takeout for wild a/c . i intend on running one of AL's controllers and my question is delta or wye? im looking to rectify and sense about a hundred feet away and would like to keep voltage as high as i can , i kinda gotta whip this up pretty  quick as it appears i will need it , i am using a horrible freight 6.5 to turn it while trying to acquire a 2cyl lister . so real current capacity is not of utmost importance as charging the bank for a mont or 2 without resorting to the 8kw briggs screamer often .
well thanks for the input Bob and so far my experiences rival yours with this triplite . curiously what ups are you running? it did not occur to me until i was staring at the pallet full of these things that they really are the holy grail  :)

jcyoungs76

ok so I have started pulling my alternator apart , i removed the diode bridge and regulator . it looks as though the field is tied to ground , so please correct me but i could float this and supply fused +12 to the other side and use the negative side for pwm regulation via n channel mosfet , but I must maintain the same polarity ?
I am wondering if I will have to reconfigure my stator to get to 48 volts? I have read through quite a bit of what is available here and it seems as to the alternators no one is actually experimenting with them and the successful units have been made from st 5 s. so my question is do you think i will have to reconfigure my stator? i am fairly flexible to rpm as i have not yet come up with a driving pulley. i figure to energize the field and put it in my lathe at 1000 rpm and see what the ac output is . will the voltage curve be linear? sorry to ask all of these questions but this is the first alternator hack i have ever done thanks

thomasonw

Quote from: jcyoungs76 on July 14, 2014, 06:07:00 PM
ok so I have started pulling my alternator apart , i removed the diode bridge and regulator . it looks as though the field is tied to ground , so please correct me but i could float this and supply fused +12 to the other side and use the negative side for pwm regulation via n channel mosfet , but I must maintain the same polarity ?
I am wondering if I will have to reconfigure my stator to get to 48 volts? I have read through quite a bit of what is available here and it seems as to the alternators no one is actually experimenting with them and the successful units have been made from st 5 s. so my question is do you think i will have to reconfigure my stator? i am fairly flexible to rpm as i have not yet come up with a driving pulley. i figure to energize the field and put it in my lathe at 1000 rpm and see what the ac output is . will the voltage curve be linear? sorry to ask all of these questions but this is the first alternator hack i have ever done thanks

JC,  If you are using the controller no need to modify the gnd on the field, the new full controller boards have the revised 'universal' Field Drive as used on the stand alone the alternator regulator project; easily configured for High Drive or Low Drive using a jumper on the controller board.   So, no need to pull that ground, just bring out the existing high lead and jumper the controller for a High Drive.

No idea on need to rewind the stator, perhaps Bob or such can chime in  :)

-al-

jcyoungs76

not ready to try this now but this seems like some interesting technology that would go a long ways towards alternator efficiency if they will sell just the stator.
http://www.billetalternator.com/index.php/products/discover-the-6-phase-advantage.html

any thoughts?

BruceM

I didn't see one speck of actual data to support their marketing claim of better performance.  None.  And certainly no independent test data.  Unsupported marketing claims are the realm of frauds and cons.

6 Phases might help idling rpm current slightly for automotive, but this is irrelevant for your stationary generator where you can optimize rpm.

jcyoungs76

thanx bruce
I have read quite a few of your posts and value your opinion.
thta is what i like about this forum is the knowledge base her