News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Water Heater Element Hole Adapter - Wanted

Started by LowGear, January 22, 2014, 09:37:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowGear

I'm plumbing a solar collector into my conventional water heater.  I'd like to return the heated water to the bottom element hole.  These holes are not tapered so conventional plumbing parts won't properly fit or seal.

Yes, I know electrical 1" conduit has the same thread system.

Yes, I've seen the entry (sometimes inny and outy) through the drain hole.  Is this easy way the best alternative because it uses the tapered threads of NPT?

So what are my options?

Casey

vdubnut62

Remove the drain valve. Install a close nipple then a "Tee" then reinstall the drain valve.The tee will be the "hot" inlet from the collector
Same thing with the coldwater feed line. Tee into it to feed cold to the collector Water from the tank will flow to the collector when the hot return is pumped in the bottom drain valve tee.
Hope this is clear enough the kindle is a pain
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Tom Reed

I have an electric water heater tank as the cooling reservoir for the listeroid. There are standard NPT nipples screwed into the former element bungs with no leakage after almost 10 years.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

LowGear

Hi Ron,

Yup, this is more or less the way the Nyle Geyzer heat pump unit does it only they do both the inny and outy from the drain. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACYkqmWIQqw

Hmmmmm, I guess you insert youtube videos different here than photos at LE?  [tag]URL[tag]?

Hi Tom,

Maybe yours is different than mine but my elements are sealed with a rubber "O" ring rather than tapered threads and on my test tank I can't get the nipple started.

Casey

Ronmar

Ron's method is probably the easiest, "T" into the drain.  Besides, won't you need the heating elements to be installed and working?  It is kinda handy to have 2 elements installed when one quits")
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"