News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

neo magnets to be harder to get

Started by mobile_bob, December 15, 2009, 08:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile_bob

there is much discussion going on about china cutting back on exports of neo magnets
they have 50% of the worlds rare earth neodymium stuff apparently, and they are planning on cutting
back imports severely.

so either a suitable replacement needs to come forward or there will be a huge renassaince in wound field
rotors with the windpower guys, and i would assume many others.

maybe its time to start in earnest to build that monster low rpm clawpole alternator we were discussing a while back?

bottom line, maybe if you think you would like to build with neo's sometime in the future, you might wanna lay in a stockpile
now rather than wait?

bob g

rcavictim

Bob,

Tell me this ain't so!  Where have you seen this information?

I need a bunch to convert a 100 HP induction motor rotor but I am unable to divert sufficient acquisition funds from day to day needs.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

mobile_bob

the boys over at otherpower.com/fieldlines forum have a thread about it, and the AWEA group has been discussing it as
well.

i don't know the details as they are sketchy, but suffice it to say it might be something to check up on if you have an interest
in getting some magnets?

bob g

mobile_bob

rcavictim

"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

BioDBilly

More intrique in the 'What's this world coming to?' department!  Looks like I'll have to put that axial flux design on the 6/1 at least, maybe a wind turbine too.  It sure seems that time is of the essence these days.

Do you have a design and parts sources that you prefer Bob?

Will C
Redstone & 12 KW ST, Jkson 6/1 & 5 KW ST, R175 Changfa, 4 HP China diesel, 193X Hercules Diesel out of an old Cletrac, '46 Ford 2N, '61 Galion 160 motor grader, '64 Chev C-60, '68 Early Bronco waiting for a Cummins 4BT and some newer stuff that isn't nearly so exciting!

mobile_bob

BioBill

if i were to scratch build an alternator, i would have to go with either a wound field or a pm design

for a wound field it would have to be a clawpole design, only because i think there is much promise with the
design that has been overlooked for decades.

for a pm, it would have to be the "torogen", a design i adapted from an older design by another fella, replaceing
his E cores with slotted toroid cores. Toroids are about the perfect magnetic circuit and one can get core to whatever
spec one wants, and have the requisite slot cut and ground to a precise size.

if i only live long enough, i plan on building both styles of alternators, so i too better get off my duff and order up some neo's
to put away for the "torogen".

bob g

Randybee1

Well, Its been awhile since Bob posted this but just this week NPR had an article about a big dispute between China and Japan. Its seems that China is now overshadowing Japan's manufacturing might and as such is starting to make demands of Japan. China is upset over how Japan is treating its Chinese workers and Japan is upset BECAUSE CHINA HAS LIMITED ITS SALE OF RARE EARTH MAGNETS!

Randy B

Wizard

I have read that unfortunate thing is that USA does have these rare earth materials but they have not invested in mining and process these.  To build up these takes at least a decade.  IIRC.

Cheers, Wizard

highwater

http://motionsystemdesign.com/news/rare-earth-minerals-shortage-20100401/

Link to a story in one of our trade mags from April.

I read the one about the Japan, in another mag last month, but can't find it at the moment.
Will see if I can.

I had been going to lay in some of the quality neo for future use but even for a Dan's OtherPower design, thats a couple three 100. USD's.

Randall

edit clarity

highwater

bschwartz

- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170