48 volt Direct Drive PM Alternator Assembly

Started by Henry W, July 05, 2012, 06:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry W

I am selling an Eagle Pitcher Dual 48 volt Direct Drive PMG Alternator assembly with a Hayes coupler assembly. This is not cheap PMG alternators. The setup mounts on an SAE 5 housing on an SAE 8 fllywheel.

I figure it puts out at least 400 amps.

These alternators spin at low rpm's produces 48 volts ac below 1800 rpm no load.

Zero hours of use. Was a backup unit for Nortel stored in a warehoure.

Letting it go cheap.
$600.00

Henry

mike90045

Quote from: hwew on July 05, 2012, 06:50:33 PM
.....I figure it puts out at least 400 amps.  ...

For 400A, I think it needs some heavier wire, even for 200A each section, that wire does not look large enough, or my sense of scale is all wrong.
So is this only the AC half, and rectifiers & regulators needed ?

mobile_bob

they use remote recfication, and the units are much larger than they look in the picture.

bob g

Henry W

The engine that is hooked up to this unit is rated at 48 hp @ 1800 rpm.

Westcliffe01

Do you have a spec sheet for the individual alternator ?
Bought 36 acres in Custer County Colorado.  Now to build the retirement home/shop

Henry W

EBI-WPO

HWEW,
Weren't you talking about getting away from diesel and using NG? Why don't you put this back together with the 2.3 litre it was mounted on, it was set up for gas (LP or NG) wasn't it? Use a battery bank and a 48 volt invertor and you'd have the answer most are looking for. Low rpm (low fuel use) at low load, but AWESOME starting capacity, limited only by your invertor. 

Inquiring minds and all....

Terry
To have B.S. aimed at you is an insult to your intelligence......To have B.S. spread about you is an insult to your character.....Neither should be tolerated willingly.   EBI-WPO 2010

Henry W

Terry, You got a point there.

I need to find a 20,000 watt inverter though.

I think I need to think about this a bit longer before selling this.

Where else can you find stuff like this. They are very expensive.

I never took the unit off the engine. If anything, I can mount one of those alternators on the 14 Hp. LP Briggs V-twin setup that I purchased, and still have a spare alternator.

The alternators have the mounting pattern that will mount to Briggs, Kohler and Kawasaki V-twins.

The LRG-425 will be used to spin a 30,000 generator head and used as emergency stand by only.

Henry

BioHazard

Quote from: hwew on July 08, 2012, 08:12:57 PM
I need to find a 20,000 watt inverter though.

What for? Can't you use individual inverters for larger loads? That's what I want to do, basically rewire my house and put each circuit on it's own inverter. I'll probably keep grid power for the dryer and the stove...
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

EBI-WPO

hwew,
Look at the used/retired UPS market (Large systems). Due to age, battery replacement due, etc., there are quite a few deals on units large enough for what you want. A little creativity in control, and/or seperating the charging system from the inverter, would expand the possibilities. They are almost always true sine wave, and most run the active power through the invertor, giving you a great power filtering system.

I've got 2 - 5K UPS's that are 48v systems, and have seen a few 10K's that were also. Worth a look. I have a 3.5K that is 36v. They were all extreme bargains.

Terry
To have B.S. aimed at you is an insult to your intelligence......To have B.S. spread about you is an insult to your character.....Neither should be tolerated willingly.   EBI-WPO 2010

SPSInc

I'm pretty familiar with these PMG alternators. They are a 24 pole design. I don't know the details of these particular ones as there are many variations in the stator windings to produce different outputs for each application they were built for. This sized alternator can produce about 12KW spinning at 3600 RPM. Typically the stators were wound for dual output voltage configuration. With 12 leads you can connect them in a parallel wye and get 24Vdc and put them in a high wye configuration for 48Vdc. That is quite the setup to parallel 2 of them.

Henry W

SPSInc,

Thanks for the input.

It looks like you know quite a bit about these and I decided I will be keeping them.

Henry

Henry W

Just finished mounting one of the Eagle Pitchers to the 14 Hp Vangaurd V-Twin. I still have all my fingers :). It was very easy to swap it over.

More later.

Henry

mobile_bob

those sure look to be very nicely designed, and well built, i particularly like the stator
winding detail.

very nice

bob g

Tom Reed

How did you manage to move the rotor with out it sticking to something it was not supposed to???
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom